Flatworms

Will

I would use the Flatworm Exit as I have used it and no problems with the corals or nem. The six line is a nice looking peaceful when "small" but can be a PITA and chase down other fish. Seen it being done in a LFS main display tank.

If you can siphon as much as you can for a couple of days, then get some carbon ready, follow the instructions in the box, dos and then after a little while add the carbon. It's when they die they secret a mucus that is poisonous for the tank.

hth

Do something about it but don't worry to much....must of us have flatworms and the ones that think that don't probably do. Sometimes there is a balance and sometimes there is a population explosion of them. They like certain corals in my tank, I'll occasionally dip them in fresh water to kill whats on them. Let me tell you once a flat worm hits fresh water it instantly falls of the coral, only takes about 5 seconds just swishing it around.

I have had flatworms for the entire life of my tank, usually they are no problem but occasionally I have a coral that starts not doing so well and I will dip it. I just hate to add flatworm exit to my tank, unless I have to. I don't think that I have that many b/c I rarely see them even when looking for them.

Are there any side effects of flat wrom exit?

I have some little clear ones that came in on some mushrooms I was given. They appear harmless, never see them on anything but the shrooms. I have a different looking type in my sump that I've ID'd as mostly harmless. They do eat pods, but didn't seem to make a dent in my pod population.

ID the type of flatworms you have and go from there.

I'm always a fan of the natural fix, i.e. getting a fish that will eat them. I have a six line and a green coris wrasse. The green coris eats all kinds of worms. I would definitely recommend one. I think it would be a bit big for your tank though. The six line would do fine.

Are there any side effects of flat wrom exit?

Not the Exit, but when the flat worms die they "emit" a mucus that is poisonous for the tank

Sixlines are nice when small but are PITA when bigger. While at one of the LFS in the main display tank he had lot's of fish but the sixline would only chase after this one wrasse, too hard to get out of a fully stocked 300gal. I'm sure when he has me build him another display tank, that sixline is not going back in

I have had them on and off in both of my tanks. I was told to specifically get a target mandarin and although I never heard of using them I have a 6 line. I have never seen either eating a thing. Admittedly maybe they occasionally do but I have seen the mandarin light right beside a shroom covered with them, peck around the rock they were on and go on. I know Mike DelGado swears by his green coris wrasse - they do get purdy dang large though.

It seems to me they tend to like particular corals with nice flat surfaces. I got rid of most if not all but dipping a big rock that had a bunch of shrooms (and flatworms). Seems I used Hydrogen Peroxide and RO. I also tried Lugols. IIRC the peroxide worked quicker.

Bill

What mix of hydrogen peroxide and water did you use Bill?

I'm not gonna bother with the flatworms I have unless they reach irritating levels. I hate killing things just to kill them. Not their fault they're not flashy and pretty enough for us to value. Hey, didn't we have a similar conversation about the little white star fish?

Every time I see one of those little guys cruising the glass in my tank munching algae I think about everyone who has said 'Kill them'. I've never seen one on a coral, but man to they munch the algae.

I have a green mandarin, I haven't seen him show interest in the flatworms though I've heard before that mandarins in general may eat them. Mine is too busy hunting pods.

they are reddish brown, almost like tea colored or watered down coffee colored. i only see them on the glass, but i did just have a zoo frag melt away in the last couple of days for no reason.

I often recommend the use of a single Arrow Crab for flatworms, unless your system is large enough to justify two of them. In a smaller aquarium, they will be much easier to catch & remove later (if need be) than any fish will be, for sure.