clown and anemone

diabeetus

i just got a new bubble tip nem the other day and it seems like my clown is never going to go for the gold and host the nem. i was wondering if there is anyway i can kinda coax the fish into the loving arms of the GBTA? :D its a pink skunk clown. he just doesnt seem to want to move out of the one spot in the tank and discover the nem

As I haven't tried raising either one, don't know if this would work. How about feeding the clowns by dropping their food where the anemone is, each and every time. Seems as if it would be like training puppies or babies by associating the anemone with food.

wayneb

Skunks are the pickier of all the clown on what anemones they host in. I believe in nature they host in carpet anemones. I also read online they will also host in Seabae anemones.

My skunk ignored my bubble tip also.....

The natural host for skunk clowns is the long tentacle anemone. Mine hosted with a bubble tip anemone, but it took them a while to get used to it. I wouldn't scare them into it. They have to get used to the stings. If you scare them or force them into the anemone it could hurt them.

Adding a small dose of wet blanket realism to an otherwise positive conversation, I've got two beautiful onyx clowns that I bought more than a year ago, and they've never gone anywhere near my 10" green BTA. Sometimes the CB clowns just don't figure it out. :cool:

Adding a small dose of wet blanket realism to an otherwise positive conversation, I've got two beautiful onyx clowns that I bought more than a year ago, and they've never gone anywhere near my 10" green BTA. Sometimes the CB clowns just don't figure it out. :cool:

yep. captive bred clowns have a reputation for not hosting. If you want a clown that hosts, the best way to do it is to buy one that is already hosting.

While I haven't gotten wild caught in a while in the past I've had them ignore anemonies also albeit they may have been expecting a different species of anemonie. The most unusual hosting I've seen is a feather duster and surprisingly the feather duster new the clown fish from anything else so the process clowns use to keep from getting stung by host anemonies or corals also tricks feather dusters.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG!! my pink skunk started hosting my GBTA tonight!! hurray! i tried the picture trick for one day/night and took it down like the day after starting this topic. and now..2 weeks later, he started off slow, getting used to it i guess but is now constantly in it!! im so excited!! :D

Ok, now I gotta know.... what is the "picture trick"? My silly clowns won't even get close to my GBTA. Do I need to show them a picture of some fish sticks or something? biggrin.gif

Ok, now I gotta know.... what is the "picture trick"? My silly clowns won't even get close to my GBTA. Do I need to show them a picture of some fish sticks or something? biggrin.gif

hahahaha no no :)

it when you tape a picture of a clown hosting an anemone (closest to actual size as you can get) i would try using a piture of the same type of clown hosting the same nem. i.e my pink skunk clown/GBTA with a picture of a pink skunk clown hosting a GBTA

• 2 weeks later...

now that my nem got all settled in and is happy, it decided to split!!! wooo!! what is it supposed to look like? at first they looked weak, like they had just pooped and were deflated, but they seem to be bubbling back up. the only thing is, they are not in a full circle yet. one is just about fully connected all the way around, but the other one still looks like it has a ways to go. both look healthy tho. they both ate when i put some meaty food in there :D