fish mouth stuck open

Hydro

I have a yasha hazi goby that can't close its mouth and can't eat. Probably not a good sign....what is wrong with it? It's mouth is stuck wide open, I caught the goby with a net and tried to close it but it wouldn't clost, its locked open.

ok I tried again and it did close easily. So I dropped it back in the tank but it still has its mouth wide open....weird. I guess time will tell.

I hope it gets better....nothing more disheartening then to see it trying to eat and starve to death. I went through something similar with my seahorse (lock jaw disease) and it was so frustrating. Good Luck!

I had a brackish puffer that ate a tube anemone tenticle that was floating in the tank and wigged out. His lips were peeled back over his beak. It was funny and not at the same time. How long has he been like that?

I think the best way to relocate the jaw is to just toss it in the freezer and get a new one. Generally when one of my fish has something wrong with it that prevents it from eating, I will keep it for a few days to see if it eats but when it starts looking malnourished I take it out and euthanize it. Nothing is more sad than seeing a beautiful fish just deteriorate and die.

I agree, I don't use the freezer though. I put it in a couple of bags and hit it once with a hammer and throw it in the garbage. May seem morbid but I think that its the most humane way. Its over very quickly, sucks, I hate doing it.

I agree, I don't use the freezer though. I put it in a couple of bags and hit it once with a hammer and throw it in the garbage. May seem morbid but I think that its the most humane way. Its over very quickly, sucks, I hate doing it.

Oh man, that is epic. Kind of reminds me of how my grandfather got rid of kittens.

I try to use the opportunity to learn something from the sick fish so the life is not wasted. I had a dwarf lion once that got lock jaw. I made a syringe tube feeding apparatus and pumped his stomach with food rich in omega3 fatty acids for a few weeks. He healed from the lock jaw and started to eat again on his own and made a full recovery. Now I have extended this method to use smaller tubes etc. to save malnourished tangs and smaller fish. (MUCH harder) I would take your goby out and put him in a QT for close observation. try feeding him directly by putting food directly in his mouth. See how he does. But I can understand taking the other approach as well.

Nick

I try to use the opportunity to learn something from the sick fish so the life is not wasted. I had a dwarf lion once that got lock jaw. I made a syringe tube feeding apparatus and pumped his stomach with food rich in omega3 fatty acids for a few weeks. He healed from the lock jaw and started to eat again on his own and made a full recovery. Now I have extended this method to use smaller tubes etc. to save malnourished tangs and smaller fish. (MUCH harder) I would take your goby out and put him in a QT for close observation. try feeding him directly by putting food directly in his mouth. See how he does. But I can understand taking the other approach as well.

Nick

Doctor Nick Medicine Man.