2part B-ionic newbie....

Kris

Hello, I just bought some B-ionic Ca buffer system and this will be the first time I've dosed anything. I've just started stocking my tank with mostly softies, but a friend gave me 3 small sps. I checked my alk/ca today and they are...Ca-360ppm/Kh-107.4(tested 30 minutes ago with api). I used the reef chemistry calculator and it told me i need to add 19.3 ml of Alk supplement and 75 ml of Ca supplement. I know I need to do this over a period of time. Any tips on how to get started as im still sort of confused about all of this. Thanks

Ouch! thanks for the compliment. I read the instructions and got even more confused. I just dont know how much to start dosing or how much i should continue to dose once my levels go up.

I thought there was a "max" dose on the bottle (don't have them in front of me). For my 75g I am adding 2 TBSP of each, every day (or so ... when I remember :thumbsup: ). But I am doing this as just a regular supplemental addition.

So I would do the max (or less) per day until you reach the calculated amount you need to add, or until your calcium reaches the level you want.

Ok it says to add 1ml per 4 gallons of each part every day to start. I just changed my water(5g) about 30 minutes ago so I'm going to wait a couple of hours and test ca/kh and see where I'm at then. They way it has been going after a WC is my ca/kh rise to 400/7. I'd like it around 420/9. Am I on the right path? Grrr why the hell am I so confused right now.

Ok it says to add 1ml per 4 gallons of each part every day to start. I just changed my water(5g) about 30 minutes ago so I'm going to wait a couple of hours and test ca/kh and see where I'm at then. They way it has been going after a WC is my ca/kh rise to 400/7. I'd like it around 420/9. Am I on the right path? Grrr why the hell am I so confused right now.

That is a starting dose, and you will need to adjust it accordingly.  There is a max of 1ml per gallon of each component daily.  Just do daily testings of calcium,dkh, and pH, adjusting the dosages until everything is normalized.

BTW, I use B-Ionic in addition to water changes to regulate my calcium, hardness and pH with good success.  It's also supposed to provide all the important trace elements.  I think it is a great product so far.

It sounds like you are on the right path. When i am "Max Dosing" i worry alot about the PH swings though. The only suggestion that I would have would be to take your top off water for the day and divide it in half. Then put the supplements seperately into each half. You can then drip them one at a time with an upside down 20oz water bottle with a hole poked through the cap. This will let the supplement go into your water over time instead of all at once.

Note: I do not do this for my daily addition. Just when I'm trying to boost my CA levels.

If you want to raise your calcium or alk use a product designed for such. I use SeaChem Reef Advantage Calcium and their Reef Builder; it will be cheaper to use a dry product like this to raise your concentrations to your targets and less risk in modifying other parameters.

Once you reach your targets, THEN use your daily doses of B-Ionic (a rather expensive product IMO) to maintain your levels based upon a measured rate of decrease in those levels (or as a starting point follow the instructions).

A couple of small pieces of SPS doesn't mean that your calcium is going to get sucked out. I would be cautious especially in such a small tank, measure frequently. You may find that your water changes are sufficient for keeping your levels where you want them.