Frag tank in garage

johnoburns

I wanted to see if anyone has or has had a frag/grow out tank in their garage. What are your experiences? I've thought about this before and the main drawback I can think of is the temperature. Has this been an a big issue (heaters/chillers/extra electric bill)?

When I first got into this hobby I went to a guys house who had some in his garage. I only slightly thought about the heaters and chillers back then and didn't ask a lot of questions.

I dont know from direct experience but while I was in college I had a friend named Quoc that lived in Houston, I bought alot of my sps from him, and he had a huge inwall tank (with the display and frag tank in the garage). I know his main problem was temperature control. Here is a link to one of his reefkeeping magazine articles, he talks Alot about the pros/cons of his garage setup and the issues involved. (Beware: AMAZING TANK)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-08/totm/index.php

I have done it. It works fine but you do have to moderate the temperature. Heaters are easy but a chiller in a Texas garage gets expensive. I finally got walls around my tanks and turned it in to an air conditioned space.

There are some challenges but you sure can run lots of gallons!

Oh, and it will quickly rust every metal item in your garage. It makes tool storage a chore.