The SWC 160 Cone Skimmer

mcallahan

With 600lph/21scfh of airpull and maybe a 3" neck, I'm not suprised this skimmer only slightly outperforms your Vertex.

FYI, for the same money, there's also the Super Reef Octopus XP1000 cone (available in May), which has 900lph/31scfh of airpull with the new Bubble Blaster pump and a 3.5" neck.

I'm putting a Super Reef Octopus XP-5000 cone on my 240g (85-90scfh airpull with a 6" neck). I'll blog my review when the time comes.

With 600lph/21scfh of airpull and maybe a 3" neck, I'm not suprised this skimmer only slightly outperforms your Vertex.

FYI, for the same money, there's also the Super Reef Octopus XP1000 cone (available in May), which has 900lph/31scfh of airpull with the new Bubble Blaster pump and a 3.5" neck.

I'm putting a Super Reef Octopus XP-5000 cone on my 240g (85-90scfh airpull with a 6" neck). I'll blog my review when the time comes.

Interesting. I won't touch anything Reef Octopus again though - I've had 2 and I did not like them at all.

The other thing I didn't like about the Reef Octo's was that the gate valve adjustment was low down on the skimmer, so you had to get your hand wet as well as maneuver your hand down to the valve to get to it.

Good to see more competition among makers tho.

Interesting. I won't touch anything Reef Octopus again though - I've had 2 and I did not like them at all.

The other thing I didn't like about the Reef Octo's was that the gate valve adjustment was low down on the skimmer, so you had to get your hand wet as well as maneuver your hand down to the valve to get to it.

Good to see more competition among makers tho.

The SRO XP cones are most efficient when sitting in about 6" of water, so the gate valve should be above the water line.

There's a thread on RC (under vendor Reef Specialty) about these cones. I don't think these are even in the same ballpark as the old Octopus Extremes. The new Bubble Blaster pumps make a big difference. Plenty of favorable reviews.

The SRO XP cones are most efficient when sitting in about 6" of water, so the gate valve should be above the water line.

There's a thread on RC (under vendor Reef Specialty) about these cones. I don't think these are even in the same ballpark as the old Octopus Extremes. The new Bubble Blaster pumps make a big difference. Plenty of favorable reviews.

The 6" of water thing was another thing that made me choose against the SRO. When I was looking @ the SWC, I also considered the SRO 2000 which was 23" tall. Since the SRO had to sit in 6" of water, I would not have had enough room under my tank to raise the skimmer up high enough to get it to 6". I also wasn't going to modify my sump to lower the water level so the SRO's were out.

The Bubble Blaster pump sounds nice, and it was enticing, but I got the same hype when the old Octo Extremes had the sicce pumps. Everyone though the sicce was THE pump and mine was 10 db louder than my vertex pump. I replaced the shaft which helped, but the sicce still too loud for my tastes. If the sicce was THAT good, I shouldn't of had those problems.

As far as air draw, the cone does have a bit more air draw than my vertex and I wanted to see if the small air draw with the cone design would make a noticeable difference. For me, it did. Would I like to get an even bigger air draw? For sure, so when SWC gets more in of the next model up - the 200 I think - I'll probably upgrade to that, but for now, the 160 works great, requires no modifications to my current setup (I didn't even have to use a skimmer stand) and its quiet. Hard to beat that.

The 6" of water thing was another thing that made me choose against the SRO. When I was looking @ the SWC, I also considered the SRO 2000 which was 23" tall. Since the SRO had to sit in 6" of water, I would not have had enough room under my tank to raise the skimmer up high enough to get it to 6". I also wasn't going to modify my sump to lower the water level so the SRO's were out.

The XP2000 is the next size up. The XP1000 is actually a "space-saver" model (the skimmer body sits on top of the pump) and it's about 1/2" shorter than the SWC 160, so you wouldn't have to raise it and it would take up even less height room in your sump.

Trust me, I'm not getting a commission on these, so please don't think I'm trying to sell SRO XP's to everyone. Just putting out some facts if people are interested in comparing the two.

The XP2000 is the next size up. The XP1000 is actually a "space-saver" model (the skimmer body sits on top of the pump) and it's about 1/2" shorter than the SWC 160, so you wouldn't have to raise it and it would take up even less height room in your sump.

Trust me, I'm not getting a commission on these, so please don't think I'm trying to sell SRO XP's to everyone. Just putting out some facts if people are interested in comparing the two.

Thanks for the info...will you loan me yours when you get it so I can review it against the SWC? I'd be interested to see the results and to give Octo a chance to change my opinion.

Thanks for the info...will you loan me yours when you get it so I can review it against the SWC? I'd be interested to see the results and to give Octo a chance to change my opinion.

Well, I'm getting the XP-5000 for my 240g, so I don't think it would be a fair comparison. biggrin.gif

Well, I'm getting the XP-5000 for my 240g, so I don't think it would be a fair comparison. biggrin.gif

hahaha..that'd be funny.

"what the heck!" This 5000 doesn't pull ANYTHING out of my 90G!"

"its rated for a 240G tank"

"oh."

hahaha..that'd be funny.

"what the heck!" This 5000 doesn't pull ANYTHING out of my 90G!"

"its rated for a 240G tank"

"oh."

laugh.gif

A 240g is actually towards the minimum recommended tank size for the XP5000. They guy at Reef Specialty said that if I use the 5000 (instead of the more appropriate XP3000), I need to make sure I keep a heavy bioload....no problem, dude. wink.gif

The XP2000 is the next size up. The XP1000 is actually a "space-saver" model (the skimmer body sits on top of the pump)

Don't forget the XP-2000SSSS - it's already available, and has the pump enclosed in the bottom of the cone as well.

In a week or two I'm supposed to come into my XP-2000 or XP-3000, whichever I go with will be an internal model though - not external.

My friend has been running his XP-3000 for a whole 7 days now, and has been impressed from the start - and he's running it on a 90gal.

All he has to compare it to is his old EuroReef RS-100 or RS-135, I forget. He bought the Octopus for his upcoming transition into a 185.

I noticed in your write up that you were not messing with the air intake. Smaller bubbles should mean better skimming. The more surface area on the bubbles the more stuff can attach to them. I would adjust it down and run it that way a couple days and see if you notice a difference. A lot of people get caught up in the scfh, but that is just one factor in a skimmer's performance.

I would adjust it down and run it that way a couple days and see if you notice a difference. A lot of people get caught up in the scfh, but that is just one factor in a skimmer's performance.

I agree, and the final settings will really boil down to user preference on wet vs dry skimmate.