cleanup crew for a QT?

chrisfowler99

I've got a fish in a QT. Fed it the other day and it didn't touch much, which means there's now some crap at the bottom of the tank.

Tank is bare bottom with a few pieces of PVC for hiding.

Wondering if I should throw a couple of hermits in there or something...

No. Use a siphon to change out ~1G of water to suck the bad stuff out daily.

Edit: Clarification, You don't want anything in your QT that you won't be sterilizing between inhabitants. Since you cant sterilize a crab or a snail (they have such little balls) you wouldn't want to add them. Bare bottom, some PVC, a sponge filter and a light. Thats it.

My main goal for QT is just to get the fish to learn to eat right what I'm feeding.

If there was something that required medicating I could easily pull a couple of hermits out.

And daily changing out 1G of water? willy_nilly.gif

I'd say if that's all you want a QT for, put the fish in the main tank as they'll be more comfortable there (more places to hide) and they'll settle in faster.

My problem is that I've lost the last two fish I put in the main tank and I think it is because they were scared to fight the other fish for food. They were too busy hiding from me when I was in front of the tank too.

Trying to get it to adjust before being introduced to the main tank.

I think the "QT' plan is a good one.

I've lost a few fish, new additions all, due to not being used to my food/feeding, not being used to us and our routine, and aggressive clowns vs not so aggressive newbies so if you can reduce 1 and 2 enough that #3 is a minor issue I think you will be ahead of the curve.

Besides, Mark is just a director, what does he know anyways? :)

I like QTing fish but it's stressfull for them not being in a "natural" environment. I would advise a UV sterilizer on your tank until you've established your fish population. I've also known tanks where the established fish wouldn't tolerate anybody new so Qt in such a situation is pretty much moot. I like hermits in my QT and if I have to move them I stick them in a glass of tap water for a few minutes.

Archived