Island overflows

migs

I am orderig a custom tank that will primarily be view from the front, but the back will be visible too just not that convienent to sit and watch. I was thinking of an island overflow, but I am a little concerned that fish will hide on the back or space would be wasted since you cannot sit and enjoy. Any experience or opinions on island overflows?

No experience with Islands but it will limit what you can do with the rockwork on your tank. My tank is viewable from 3 sides and I went with the corner overflow. If I had it to do again I'd do the peninsula overflow, but I hear they have their own problems relating to the area of overflow vs tank capacity.

I think it could work fine, but they are meant for tanks viewable from at least 3 sides, if you're going to have most of the focus on one or two sides there's really no advantage of having it there vs. on a wall or in a corner. You can also usually get them in clear glass and acrylic, which will minimize critters' ability to hide.

If it were me with an overflow like that, I would build up a column or pininsula of some sort to cover a good portion of the overflow. That way you hide it somewhat and you minimize the open space surrounding it, which makes it less viable as a hiding place.

I've worked with island overflows on tanks intended to be seen from all four sides. I had to put a lot more thought and design into the rock work hiding it so it was stable and still be easy to access the inside and clean the glass. What I don't like about them is if they are big enough to handle high flow rates when you add in the rock work you can end up with just a few inches between them and the glass. Don't use tie wraps in any structural application I learned this lesson the hard way. As far as the fish it seems to me if you're hand feeding your fish hiding shouldn't be an issue.

not very familiar with a peninsula overflow... is that the one that takes up all of the wall? I am thinking of just going back to a center overflow on back wall....

I have a rimless tank with an island overflow which I've decided not to use. I did however, while planning to use it have a couple thoughts:

An island overflow is only an advantage if the tank is to be viewed from 4 sides. As others have stated back, corner and peninsula styles are generally less complex and easier to plumb and maintain.

Given the opportunity I'd like to have the overflow far enough from the back (or side) walls to make concealing with rockwork easy as concealed plumbing is the primary advantage to this stile overflow.

not very familiar with a peninsula overflow... is that the one that takes up all of the wall? I am thinking of just going back to a center overflow on back wall....

It just depends on how you want it to look. We primarily view our tank from the kitchen so I didn't have a problem using a corner overflow facing out to the living room. I had orginally purchased a center overflow and it completely killed the living room view. We covered the exposed overflow with contact paper painted black, leaving it exposed on the end so that we can see clogs, etc.

My only real issue right now with the corner overflow is that it creates a weird current in the tank due to the non-uniform shape it forces the rockwork to be in. Pics attached

post-884-127030291892_thumb.jpg

post-884-12703030963704_thumb.jpg

No experience with Islands but it will limit what you can do with the rockwork on your tank. My tank is viewable from 3 sides and I went with the corner overflow. If I had it to do again I'd do the peninsula overflow, but I hear they have their own problems relating to the area of overflow vs tank capacity.

I was trying to go with the peninsula but I got a killer deal on a dual so I went with that. Still happy!

Anyone try a triangular overflow? Meaning... a straight piece that forms a triangle when in a corner? Would this be more effective than a standard corner overflow?

Anyone try a triangular overflow? Meaning... a straight piece that forms a triangle when in a corner? Would this be more effective than a standard corner overflow?

My two cents worth: rectangular box would give you a longer overflow and if you're trying to get something out of a bottom corner i think it would be harder in the triangular overflow but I think hiding the triangular overflow with rock work would be easier.

Right... the triangle overflow would be easier to hide with rock work but it was the performance i was concerned with... thank you.

From what I've read, the more "edge" to the overflow there is, the better, so a triangle would greatly reduce that.