Good or bad?

KeeperOfTheZoo

I know this isn't the best picture, I can get a better one if needed but this one provides the basic shape/color so here's hoping!

This is a snail, good or bad? We collected a few because the shells are so pretty. Also gathered a few limpets, cute little guys but not at all flashy. They were chowing on the hair algae growing on a sea wall. Can't beat that!

post-1140-12701315573281_thumb.jpg

I have a snail that looks very similar to that and noticed it attaching itself to my trochus snails so I chucked him into my fuge. Ill try and see if I can get a pic of him if hes still down there to see if theyre the same.

I don't know my snails, but that shell has a point somewhat similar to a whelk, if it is I would put it back - they're predatory.

Limpets can be good, but keyhole limpets tend to be bad. I've got a good one in my tank at the moment, but I hear keyhole limpets can eat corals and such, while other varieties are mostly herbivores.

I took the snail in to the LFS (which was very cool!) and the lady there said nassarius but I don't think that's right. I dunno....

As for collecting... going on what the long term natives are saying if something is washed up on the beach and you aren't stupid about grabbing it it's fair game. The 'law' may say otherwise, but I was sure not alone collecting things. There were folks on the beach with clear collection containers loading up and no one said a thing.

We went to a different beach today, didn't see as much stuff but it was still neat. Lots of little fish, big horseshoe crabs and tons of differnt snails and hermits. Only came home with a few more washed up mangrove pods.

Hey Girlfriend!!!

When I went snorkeling in Boca Raton last August, I saw a group of people catching blue tangs and damsels....the law at least in Palm Beach County is that you may take up to 3 live fish per day and you have to have your fishing license....as far as coral, and I was dying on this one because we were flying and I could take not a thing!!!, you can also collect as long as you do not take any liverock...there were blue zoas that had my name on it!!!!

Keep sending photos Liz!! I'm loving that you are having a great time....