who has a wave tank?

Christian

BrooksReef, how do you like the wave-making capabilities of the Echotech? Would you recommend a Vortech powerhead?

Putting in the VorTech was one of the best decision I've ever made for my tank. I have absolutely no detritus buildup, corals and fish all look happy, and the polyp extension is amazing!

I'd definitely recommend one.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm upgrading to a 58 gallon 36"x18"x21 and I'm considering whether to go with Koralia Evolution powerheads or a Vortech. Not only do I like to "looK" of a wave tank, but I keep hearing how much the livestock likes it.

Do you know which Vortech you would recommend for that size tank?

Sorry, Christian I do not mean to hijack your thread, I thought it would be a good place to discuss the wave tanks, I can start a new thread if you like.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm upgrading to a 58 gallon 36"x18"x21 and I'm considering whether to go with Koralia Evolution powerheads or a Vortech. Not only do I like to "looK" of a wave tank, but I keep hearing how much the livestock likes it.

Sorry, Christian I do not mean to hijack your thread, I thought it would be a good place to discuss the wave tanks, I can start a new thread if you like.

I'd recommend a MP20 or MP40. Depends on what you're keeping.

the koralias won't give you a wave. They'll give you random motion, which is good, but not a wave.

The Vortech will give you somewhat of a wave and you'll need to spend another $85-$100 to get the updated driver for it to really get the hint of the wave you want.

So you'll be looking at $330-$500 for a powerhead.

Or, for the tank you have, you can spend $285, get a Tunze Nano wavebox and spend another $100 TOPS in powerheads to DIRECT your flow where you want it. With a tank your size, you could get a killer wave - I'd say 1" if not bigger, and save a boatload of cash.

In case you haven't figured it out, I don't think vortechs are worth it. Yes they are a cool concept, but for the price, there are at least 10 things I'd spend the money on. Especially when I'm seeing lots of people unload mp40's and 10's on ReefCentral FS forums.

No their is no reason to start a new one I like the informatin. I like the way wave tanks look too,but I don't think my bio-cube could have one because I can't seem to keep the water leval in the main part of the tank done and high I the back.

for a 120 gallon tank (6 feet long) which wavebox would you recommend?

If you want a Tunze Wavebox, I would go with the standard size, as the Nano is going to be too small to power a 6' tank. The make/break decision between Wavebox & Vortech will essentially boil down to:

- which is more affordable over-all?

- which is more aesthetically pleasing for my aquarium?

The Wavebox, in a longer/skinnier tank, can really eat up some visual room, and some people do not like that. Alternatively, if your 6' tank is pretty packed full of rocks, a single Vortech MP40 would be "enough" to power the aquarium, but may not meet your expectations of a full wave through the tank. The Vortech is certainly smaller and more appealing overall when it comes to visuals, but you may find that running a pair of MP20's in sync (one on each end) is a better option for the wave you're seeking. Once that is sorted out, you may even change your mind again when comparing the price of a single Wavebox vs 2 Vortech's.

You should also know that both of those units are famous for not only the waves they produce, but the minimal/zero amount of heat they add to the water & low energy ratings for efficiency (especially when compared to larger pumps that may add similar amounts of gph to the tank). The older, original Vortech models were known to be noisier than desired, but the volume the motor makes now is vastly improved compared to those of years ago, and noise is not an issue at all IMO - not to mention the newest ones are now including the new EcoSmart controller. Both are great products, hopefully you get to enjoy one in your tank in the near future :D