looking for advice

polarbear

So today I put in an application for a house in new braunfels. the thing is, its a house that was built in 1951 with wooden floors. What i need the advise on is, will the floor hold up a 120 gallon tank filled with water? im not sure if i can go under the house to check the structure or reinforce it. how would i check to see if its stable and would support the tank? does anyone on here live in an older home with a large tank?

So today I put in an application for a house in new braunfels. the thing is, its a house that was built in 1951 with wooden floors. What i need the advise on is, will the floor hold up a 120 gallon tank filled with water? im not sure if i can go under the house to check the structure or reinforce it. how would i check to see if its stable and would support the tank? does anyone on here live in an older home with a large tank?

Can't speak for the tank but my father lives in a house that was built some where around 1900-1910. It is a pier and beem house which means it sits on basically very large wood logs. Although they don't have an aquarium they do have a waterbed that I am sure holds much more then 120 gallons. Take my advise for what it is though. I am NOT a professional by any means and I would definitly have someone come out who knows what they are talking about and have them test to see how structurally sound the floor is. Hope all works out!!!!

you may have to get the house inspected and mention you plans to the inspector.

Definitely. I home inspector should be able to tell you if it can support the tank or not.

I lived in a pier and beam house in Tarrytown for a while. In the crawl space under the house you could see light coming through the wood floor. So the inspector will be able to help you, but whatever, the outcome make sure it goes across the beams not between them!

I am not an engineer, but you should have no issues with a tank unless the house has issues supporting itself.

Remember, you are spreading the weight across 12 sq-ft. The tank setup is going to weigh in around 1000 lbs. That is the equivalent of four 250 lb. people standing next to each other. Houses are designed to handle that, easily. They can do that while supporting the walls, roof, ceiling, etc.

So, unless there is something wrong with the house structurally, you shouldn't have to worry.

ps: This same logic holds true for apartments and second floors.

I am not an engineer, but you should have no issues with a tank unless the house has issues supporting itself.

Remember, you are spreading the weight across 12 sq-ft. The tank setup is going to weigh in around 1000 lbs. That is the equivalent of four 250 lb. people standing next to each other. Houses are designed to handle that, easily. They can do that while supporting the walls, roof, ceiling, etc.

So, unless there is something wrong with the house structurally, you shouldn't have to worry.

ps: This same logic holds true for apartments and second floors.

Agreed, but one note about apartments above the main floor. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE RENTERS INSURANCE. The floor will support your tank, but won't support all the water if you spring a leak. It's well worth the insurance cost to be protected (and to protect you from the uninsured guy in the apartment above you who has a leak in his 250g aquarium).