Which Ballast Is Best?

pbnj

I've been asking around about ballasts. I was going to get the new Lumatek ballasts that can be switched between 250W-400W (in case I ever wanted to go up to 400W) but I know now that I'm sticking with 250W bulbs.

Which of these would be the best choice for a system running 250W Reeflux 10K bulbs with LumenBright (mogul) reflectors?

a) CoralVue 250W Single Electronic Ballast

b) CoralVue 250W Dimmable Electronic Ballast

c) IceCap 250W Electronic Ballast

Also....

Question #1: If using LumenBrights, are the power cords (socket to ballast) all plug-&-play for each of these, or will some require special wiring?

Question #2: Why do the CoralVue Dimmables state "Recommended not to use these electronic ballasts with GFCI" in the description?

Edited by pbnj

I have CoralVue and IceCap are definitely brighter. I have the two side-by-side with the same bulbs and there is a definitely difference. As far as the dimmable one, that one will only work the dimmable part with a certain controller, one that I had heard of before and not any of the well known ones (like profilux, reefkeeper, autonautica, etc.). When I get a few hundred to spare I plan on buying another icecap and just keep the coralvue as a spare for back-up.

Stephen

I have CoralVue and IceCap are definitely brighter. I have the two side-by-side with the same bulbs and there is a definitely difference. As far as the dimmable one, that one will only work the dimmable part with a certain controller, one that I had heard of before and not any of the well known ones (like profilux, reefkeeper, autonautica, etc.). When I get a few hundred to spare I plan on buying another icecap and just keep the coralvue as a spare for back-up.

Stephen

Thanks very much for the response, but I think you're mistaken about the dimmables. I'm pretty sure there's just a knob that turns it up or down. I got a demonstration when I was at Austin Aqua Farms.

Thanks very much for the response, but I think you're mistaken about the dimmables. I'm pretty sure there's just a knob that turns it up or down. I got a demonstration when I was at Austin Aqua Farms.

you are right for the lumatek dimmables - its a knob on the side of the ballast where you can select the wattage.

I'm running 2 of the lumteks (non-dimmables) and they are great. I don't hear them start up and my corals are very happy underneath them

I just ordered 2 of the lumatek 250 watt dimmables. Should be here Monday. Since the cord to the moguls are bare wire I'll need to re-wire the moguls. I'll be unning 250W 14K SPS bulbs until I get some 20K Reeflux bulbs. You are welcomed to come check them out once I get them up and running.

I just ordered 2 of the lumatek 250 watt dimmables. Should be here Monday. Since the cord to the moguls are bare wire I'll need to re-wire the moguls. I'll be unning 250W 14K SPS bulbs until I get some 20K Reeflux bulbs. You are welcomed to come check them out once I get them up and running.

What's the difference between the standard and non-standard lamp cords for the Lumateks?

I just noticed the Lumatek 250W Dimmable ballast has an 'HQI' setting. Does this mean this ballast can be used to overdrive a Radium bulb?

Someone on RC, whose opinion I respect, told me I could use the HQI setting to overdrive bulbs.

Looks like I can use this ballast and test/compare the Reeflux and Radium bulbs.

ARC never fails to deliver....thanks everyone!