Wavemaker pumps

jroescher

What is the problem with most pumps that they can't be used on a wavemaker? Does something wear out, break, overheat?

I'm not sure what the difference is in my turning it on and off using them for water changes and stuff, and a wavemaker turning it on and off making waves.

My understanding some pumps don't like to be stopped and started abruptly (seios). Some wave makers have soft start and stop to get around this. They ramp the voltage up and down rather then shutting it on and off. I know maxijets can be run or a wave maker. I think some off the tunze can also. Please some one chime in if I am wrong.

I replied to Aggiemedic's thread on this and I hope it clears up some of the confusion.

Soft starts increase the life expectancy of the pump but will still not work on a prop pump if the pumps powers down completely for any period of time. IE: The Tunze controllers are controllable from 100-30%

Btw Seio's are a different beast all together. Seios are actually still an impellar pump and put out a flow very similar to a donut (thing of a ring of flow with the "eye" of a hurricane in the middle).

I understand that prop pumps must turn the correct way, and it' 50/50 as to which way it starts when power is applied. I have the MJ mods and it's pretty brutal sounding when they try to start the wrong way.

But impeller pumps, at least the ones I've seen for aquarium use, run correctly regardless of which direction the impeller turns. I do know that on some larger pumps the impeller is designed to turn a certain direction, trash pumps for example.

I've always assumed it was the start up torgue that eventually separated the impeller from the shaft as it's just plastic pressed onto a smooth metal shaft. BUILT CHEAP!

AC pumps do not like to be stopped and started for any reason at all. DC pumps can be ramped up and down. It has more to do with the way the windings around the coils are made.

If you are going to use a wavemaker just buy cheap replaceable maxijets.

I have a Tunze 6060 and a Seio M620 on my wavemaker but it's on 20 minute cycles. Still not good for them but that's the kind of flow I want. My other option is $500 controllable Tunze, that's not in the cards THIS week...