Return Pump Recommendations

absolut_racer

I noticed that when my return pump is running, my system experiences a temperature swing from 73 degrees to 78+ degrees. I have a 1" durso overflow on the back upper corner of the display aquarium with a mag 7 return pump. Evaporative cooling is currently provided by 4 high CFM fans in the canopy controlled by an apex controller and two fans over the sump. My concern is that the addition of another mag 7 pump may negate any benefit that I may receive from my chiller.

Instead, I would like to try installing the chiller in line with 1 return pump that may operate at a cooler temperature. Has anyone had better luck with other brand return pumps e.g. Eheim, Sicce, Tunze, etc? I am very limited on space and may not be able to install the return pump externally. However, I am considering building a platform to raise the pump out of the water... Any information on your experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I will definitely support the suggestion of an Eheim pump - they do run both significantly quieter & cooler than any MagDrive pump will. Mag's can raise your ambient temperature between 3-6* where as the Eheim units usually only go 1, or maybe 2 degrees above ambient. The longer life, higher quality build, and cooler operation are each worth the cost of upgrading IMO.

If you're serious about reducing the heat added to your tank, get a true external pump (I'm running the Panworld 50PX-X). However, since space is limited, I would recommend the Eheim since they're very reliable. Be careful not to raise the pump's inlet too high off the water.

I agree that Eheim is a superior product. My first pump was a 1262 which I have run for over four years and only cleaned once -- still going strong. I have had 2 mags die on me and they all get salt creep around the seal when you run them external.

However, if you were to see a 3 degree bump running a mag 7 internal there would only be a marginal improvement running a 1260 internal. Has to do with conservation of energy. The mag 7 burns 70 watts and the eheim 1260 burns 65 watts. You need to take the pump out of the water or all of that energy will end up as heat in your tank. Both pumps will work external, but the mags develop salt creep around the seal ( all my mags have done this over time). Good luck.