opinion about my desgin for sump, need your feedback

aeroaustin

G' Day, I just upgraded from 55 gallon to bigger tank 75 gallon, I got 55 for a week but I saw 75 gallon and I bought it. I give 55 to friend. I have to throw the small sump 10 gallon from my pervious 37 gallon tank. Now I working on 20 long gallon sump for 75 gallon.

I have question.

I have desgin the sump during school hours, pardon my ms paint. I used to be working on AUTOCAD 2006 in school but no long reguired, I completed the requirement.

I planned to get one more extra overflow 600 gph, will be two overflows, the will be located in far end of both side. There are total 1200 GPH, Two 1" pvc will connect to two overflow but there will be entrance to sump by one pipe or should be individual drain pipes from each overflow?

I will buy PCI RPS 2000 Octopus Rec Skimmer (180 gallon ) in few week. will connect feeding pipe from Maxi Jet 1200, 290 GPH. The Maxijet 1200 will be location in drain area. There are best place for Octopus skimmer is outside of sump. I have uncertain about where the pvc from skimmer to center of sump or goes to drain area again? see the draw picture.

I think the size of baffle should be 8 inch height and 2 inches space between of baffles?

The Return area baffle should be 7 inches height? or 8 inches? The return pump will be Quiet One 6000? I currently had Quiet One 4000, but under the GPH than totals of two overflows' gph. The return pipe is 1/2 or 3/4 inch pipe?

I think about put macroaglaes and rubbles rocks and live sand in the small refigum? what do you think?

I am open to any of your idea. I haven't start the process.

Attached Images

post-152-1173195519_thumb.jpg

I would return your Skimmer drain back into the overflow section of the sump in case of bubbles.

1200 GPH thru your sump is a lot. Usually 5x turnover of your tank volume is recommended. So on a 75g tank that is about 400 gph. Some people do more but you lose contact time for your skimmer. If it is an external skimmer you might look into feeding it with the overflow instead of using a pump. HTH

IMO using a phosban reactor to hold the carbon and do away with the sponge is a safer way to filter the water. With that much flow the sponge will clog in a hurry and dump water on your floor. I learned this the hard way. You might try running the water through a filter sock before it enters the sump.

I would return your Skimmer drain back into the overflow section of the sump in case of bubbles.

1200 GPH thru your sump is a lot. Usually 5x turnover of your tank volume is recommended. So on a 75g tank that is about 400 gph. Some people do more but you lose contact time for your skimmer. If it is an external skimmer you might look into feeding it with the overflow instead of using a pump. HTH

currently I have 600 gph overflow, that will be fine? is that alright if I put overflow to far left of the tank where directly to drain area. or middle of the tank? The tank will be sps, so I was calculate 20x turnover, because of sps. that why I choose 1200 gph.

IMO using a phosban reactor to hold the carbon and do away with the sponge is a safer way to filter the water. With that much flow the sponge will clog in a hurry and dump water on your floor. I learned this the hard way. You might try running the water through a filter sock before it enters the sump.

interesting about that. eliminate sponges, use sock filter, sound great idea. i use Chem-pure carbon.

Edited by aeroaustin

You will want more flow in the tank than you want in the sump. That is why most people use powerheads or closed loops. I think 600 gph will be plenty. I would put it in the center of the tank if you have random flow or on one end and have the flow pointing towards it. You could have your return nozzle on one end and a powerhead on the other both pointing toward the center.

I use a filter sock in my sump and love it. Just be sure to clean it at least once a week.

You will want more flow in the tank than you want in the sump. That is why most people use powerheads or closed loops. I think 600 gph will be plenty. I would put it in the center of the tank if you have random flow or on one end and have the flow pointing towards it. You could have your return nozzle on one end and a powerhead on the other both pointing toward the center.

I use a filter sock in my sump and love it. Just be sure to clean it at least once a week.

Thanks, so I guess I have everything in order to ready for sump, so I will add one more baffle for return chamber, so there are 6 baffles and need some space for drain area for sock filter.

600 gph overflow, put in center of tank, so will desgin return pipes there will have two output in far end of tankl, add two seio 620 for flow. there will be increasing flow in the tank. maybe one maxjet 1200 in the center to flow the movement to center while two seio 620s will location on end of both of tank to flow the water.

if anything come in up and i will ask your help.