Flex tubing

KeeperOfTheZoo

Well,

I'm about to replumb my tank. It isn't drilled (add a drilled tank to the list of things I'll do differently next time) and if possible I'd like to pick up supplies locally. I'd like to use flexible pipe this time around. I already have everything I need for my return pump. So, I need to figure out what to use from the overflow down to the sump. I stopped by our local Ace and they have a thinner walled clear plastic drain hosing that says it's not for supply lines. They also have a very thick walled potable water safe flex hose. It's so bulky thick! Would the clear drain tubing be safe to use? I know it sounds silly but I got a little nervous when it said not for supply lines.

If Lowes or HD has a better option please share. Went to Ace just because it's closer.

If it's a straight path (or at least relatively) a largeish diameter pvc pipe (i mean the clear flexible pvc) is an easy option, something pressure reinforced may be better simply because of the kink resistance. The problem with unreinforced flexible tubing is that a small bend in it can partially kink and suddenly your tubing can pass only half the flow, so getting something with a spiral reinforcement or made to stand up to pressure (though that will be stiffer) is a good bet.

Edited by DaJMasta

Good point J! I didn't even think about the less rigid stuff kinking.

Do you think the hose with the braided exterior will inhibit light enough to (at least mostly) prevent algae growth?

I'm hoping I can avoid having to glue things so I can take everything apart if need be. I plumbed with rigid PVC the first time around and one of my regrets now is that I can't take my overflow and drain lines totally apart to clean everything.

Good point J! I didn't even think about the less rigid stuff kinking.

Do you think the hose with the braided exterior will inhibit light enough to (at least mostly) prevent algae growth?

I'm hoping I can avoid having to glue things so I can take everything apart if need be. I plumbed with rigid PVC the first time around and one of my regrets now is that I can't take my overflow and drain lines totally apart to clean everything.

That's what unions are for.

I used some corrugated plastic tubing that is with the sump pumps at home depot. It's black and flexible, yet also wide enough for lots of flow. It fits over a standard 1" PVC like most over the tank overflows have. Then clamp in place.