Compatibality Guide

fresoul

Does anyone have a book or better yet web link that shows groupings of fish and coral that will live realitavely well together? One that has pictures would be great since I am learning about the differences and the options that are out there. I am new to salt water and want to set up a 55g tank. I would like this to be a mix of coral and fish. I plan to build an LED light source from plans online so ill have to get corals that are low light to start with and then modify as I learn, possible upgrading the lights as I go. My tank is drilled on one side with a single hole so I plan on using a 20/30 gallon tall below as a sump. I am not in a rush to complete the tank and want my 6 yr old to take part in its growth, so this will also help him understand what can go in the tank as well.

Thanks for the help

The links section of the forum has lots of great links. You really should research individual critters.

As a start i like to hit up some of the vendor sites. Vivid, liveaquaria and bluezoo all have good basic information with pictures and you get to see what is commonly avialable in the hobby. After that you can got to fishbase.org or (my favorite) wetwebmedia.org to get more detailed information.

Keep in mind that those charts are very general guidelines. In reality, any two fish can go after each other, given the right circumstances. Also, two incompatible fish might do just fine.

Edited by pbnj

As has been implied, such a chart between fish and coral compatibility would be massive and full of caveats.

I would suggest you decide on what your goals are for the tank. Are you looking to keep specific type of corals? Then start with that and look for fish that are safe (i.e. you want to keep SPS, a lot of angelfish like to nip at SPS and clams ... clown gobies like to sit in SPS and sometimes bother them too much). But if you are more interested in fish, then pick your most favorite and then plan around it. There is such diversity in corals, you would be able to find suitable fits for the tank.