Breeding Sea Urchins

chatfouz

In our biology lab today we are observing the fertilization of eggs in sea urchins. I just thought I would pass on this bit of information on how to induce spawining in sea urchins. Apparently if you inject an urchin with 0.5 ml of 0.5M KCL into the perioral tissue (soft bit around the mouth) or apply a mild 6v current the urchins will spawn. Releasing out thier eggs or sperm into the water.

I thought this was a neat trick for those who keep urchins and always wanted more. Also i wonder if this will work for other related critters like the seastars etc... thought it was cool, thought to share

the worst really is seeing the urchins. There are 25 urchins in two 30 gal tanks. The professor thought ahead to get the urchins early, two weeks early. Ten days later he lost all but 4. Talked with the TA, Apparently the only filtration was a HOB simple filter and a bubbler. Potatoes for food, no skimmer and the tank was given 2 days to cycle. This is what happens when a plant professor and 3 cancer based grad students get into aquatic science.