Bulkhead Expansion?

rainbody

Drilling your tank with it filled is definitely a risky proposition. At a minimum the water level has to be lowered below the BH. If you have tempered glass, forget about it. If not, it's possible, but you run the risk of getting debris in the running tank or worse, cracking/breaking even if not tempered (it happens, occasionally, from everything I've read).

If your setup allows (both in the same overflow box), you might instead try converting one of your overflows to a full-siphon. If the overflows are in the same box, one could be your emergency and the other a full siphon. More flow that way. I believe it's called a Herbie style. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=344892

As for the setup right now. Two overflows with an outflow and return in each. Its 1" outflows with 1" inflow( reduced to 3/4s for locline) in each overflow. Im going to take a look at that herbie deal. Have to say I am alittle lost on the idea and the physics of it.

Its an acrylic tank. The issue with redrilling the bottom section is the stand has a 1/2" sheet the whole tank sits on. So Id have to drill not only the larger hole for the larger bulkhead but a wider hole that would fit the bulkhead fittings. I doubt it would be easy.

Acrylic is easy to cut. Access is going to be your only problem. If you can get to it you can use a 3" hole saw to enlarge the plywood and then a 2" hole saw to cut the acrylic. Or whatever size holes you need.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I solved the problem. Took some thought but I got it.

The Issue : Making a 1 1/4" hole into a 2" in the same spot.

As most of us know that do our own mods, the drill bit requires a center hole for stability. I tried to put something behind it to drill into and before the hole to drill through. Both of which didnt work.

I ended up taking that two part epoxy from coralife(green stick) and molding that into a brace across the middle of the 1 1/4" hole bisecting it. I kept the epoxy to a minimum knowing that if I kept it in

the line I drew it would all be drilled out. The epoxy brace was abit heavy and started to sag so I add some addition support with q-tips because I couldnt find a toothpick. After about a day I removed the

added support and drilled out the hole. The drill bit cut perfectly into the brace allowing a nice perfect 2" hole to be drilled right where a 1 1/4" hole use to be with none of that ugly grey epoxy around the

hole.

I just thought Id share this anyone who may run into the same issue. Hope it goes as easy for you as it did for me.

• 2 months later...