Starfish suddenly appeared. Is it a keeper?

wayneb

kill. There are many types of these starfish, its a crap shoot as to weather you got the good kind. When in doubt, KILL. Some types of these eat coraline and coral. Others are harmless. Look on GARF's site for more nfo

Edited by barderer

Checked LeRoy's site and agree that there is a good chance it is one of the nasties. As I don't want to take the chance, I've removed it from the tank. Did a close inspection of all visible areas of the tank and did not see anymore.

Thanks,

wayneb

It looks like a little Asterina star. I thought they were more or less good?

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/asterinafaqs.htm

I have several in my fuge and they mow serious paths through the algae on the glass. I have a few in my main tank and they never bother anything, just graze on the rock.

I'm kinda confused now. I've heard a couple people say bad things, but most are good.

Liz

like I said, its a gamble. Why gamble when there are plenty of other options you can buy to eat your algae and not have to worry about it? If you want to go through the extra ordinary efforts to properly identity the sub species as safe...by all means. But short of that,you made the right call removing them. All it takes is a few to reach plague like numbers and then you discover they are the bad ones...then you are screwed.

kill. There are many types of these starfish, its a crap shoot as to weather you got the good kind. When in doubt, KILL. Some types of these eat coraline and coral. Others are harmless. Look on GARF's site for more nfo

I'm sorry but I majorly object to the philosophy of 'kill it if you are not sure what it is'. You can almost always query the group and make an actual decision on what you might find detrimental to your tank. When it comes to asternia stars for instance I would say it is not very likely at all that they are coral eating pests. They most likely will scrape/eat the coraline. Although they are not very fast, they will also eat algae off rocks and in all sorts of nooks and crannies. If there are too many down sides for you then it is certainly your right to remove them. But, to my mind it is down right irreverent to nature and the hobby to essentially shoot first and ask questions later. IMHO

Bill