How do I get my Green Wrasse out of my overflow box?

Okay, so I bought a green wrasse last night and put him into our tank. This morning, he was MIA...we just assumed he didn't make it. This evening we found him in our overflow box. How in the world do we get him out? We have a very HEAVY canopy on top of the tank...which makes it even harder to get to the little sucker. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You are going to have to get something below it to force it to the surface. Wrasse are bad about jumping, it might even jump out of the overflow when you are trying to force it to the top. Sounds like you might have an eventual carpet surfer if you are not lucky. I can't remember is your canopy open on top?

Wondering if by using clear tubing (it has to be wide enough for the fish to fit freely) and siphoning the fish out. I don't know....but it might sound harsh, but I've been able to siphon small fish, like small wrasses and firefish that ended up in the overflow....without harm. In our case, the light fixture is in the way, so using a long handle net is useless....not able to maneuver the darn thing in such tight places.

Thanks guys...Guess I'm gonna have to give into the fact the massive canopy and all the heavy equipment must come off if I want to save this $12 fish that didn't make it 10 hours before he caused me more problems than any of the other fish in the tank. Not really having a lot of luck with this type of wrasse. 1st one is still MIA.

I had a similar thing happen to me. I pulled out the drain pipe and he got sucked down into the sump with the water and I just pulled him out of the filter sock. I'm not sure how big your fish or your drain line is though and I was standing by with a bucket of water and a net in case I needed to grab him out of the bottom of the overflow box or add more water to fluch him. Wrasse can certainly be a PITA sometimes. (Carpet surfin little ******** :D)

Do you have a durso-style overflow? I know on mine, it is just held in place with friction, so I can pull it out to clean it. If you have something like that, you could pull it out, causing the overflow to drain. At that point he might be out of the water for a few seconds, but he would be easy to net.

We have a chromis stuck in our overflow. When we do the water change tomorrow we should be able to catch it with a couple of nets. I will be installing black netting material over the top of the overflow. This should stop this problem (it's happened twice now).

Dave-

Some wrasses are really bad about jumping. You might want to make sure that everything is covered so he/she can't get into it again. We have a golden wrasse and at first we had her in a smaller biocube and she would jump into the back of it constantly. Now, we have her in our 210 gallon tank, and she tries to jump out of it daily. Luckily we have the entire top of it sealed so she can't commit fish suicide!