Bought wrong type of ATO

Beaux

I just learned about ATOs and boy it saves alot of time and my energy. 

The main issue was I really didn't know all the differences about them, and accidentally bought a rimless ATO.

It is to late to return it, so is there any type of work around for this? Would it be safe to cut off part of the rim so I can place it where I need it? If so any suggestions on how to go about it?

Or should I just take the loss and get the correct type for my tank?

The rim of the tank is the standard 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch. Have not really measured it. It puts the reader far to low for my liking.

Its the smart ATO by autoaqua. I have the fill hose placed at the back of the tank, and run the sump down into the 5 gallon LFS jugs. With it ser this way I still have to take the sensor out of the tank to fill back up to my water line.

15235821932386936646958277966475.jpg

15235822202953982333704505079216.jpg

1523582250073344227843282911946.jpg

15235822727964717465181599575993.jpg

15235822985418382034898531985880.jpg

If you carefully place the sensor on the plastic and not block the sensor it could work, going off the instructions It looks like the sensors are on the bottom of the puck. IF you are EXTREMELY careful you could very cut a notch into the plastic (not all the way up it) for the sensor to sit in. I want to add that if you decide to cut a notch to do so in the middle of the aquarium and I repeat do NOT cut all the way up the plastic. Does your ATO come with a sensor to put into the container to let you know when the water level is low?

It only has the one sensor. This was recommended buy a few ARC members, but with my tank demensions 20 long to keep it where it is interferes with my other equipment. 

I have 2 of the pulsing jets at the top of the rim on each side. To lower them, on the lowest setting creates to much flow. I lost 2 torches from that.

Maybe trying your idea of notching out a small piece inside and out might be the best option.

Perhaps with a lot of caution I could attempt this with an exacto knife? Not going all the way to the top of the rim piece, just stay low.

I will most likely wait until my larger tank is more mature just in case.

The sensor you got would work well in a sump configuration, but with your HOB filter it makes it harder. If you decide to cut I would sure an exacto knife and measure and mark with a sharpie (silver) or white crayon and so at it VERY slowly. You could try to sell the ATO and get a JBJ ATO system, It uses floats but comes with 2 so you can use one in the tank and the other in the ATO container to help protect your pump from running dry. The JBJ floats are also easier to use on a rimmed tank as it has clips that fit on rimmed aquariums and suction cups. I could even rig your square 5gal jug that your using similar to mine or you could check out my build thread to see what I did. 

Archived