Possible starfish?

Beaux

I do not have a photo to attach to this post just yet, it is hidden at the moment. But it looks as if some how this thing pulled a stowaway to get into my tank. I would think it would be a lot larger since it had been so long since I have added anything.

It is all white, and resembles a starfish, except is half the size of a pinky fingernail. I have seen it twice and it was climbing the tank glass. It falls or gets knocked off before I can get a pic of it. I will add a photo when I get it later. But for now does it sound like a starfish, because it sure resembles one.

All white, like bleached out white. Largest in the center and has the ends pointed like one.

If it should turn out to be one, anyone want it? I have no clue about them and would most likely end up killing it from lack of knowledge. 

Thanks for the quick reply Reefpuck. I was just editing my post as you sent that. I have only seen the top side and that is what it resemble the same shape. Maybe I just could not see it well enough to look for texture. It appeared more slick like a homeless snail, but the shape is not sluglike, it's more starfishy in shape.

Wow, thanks Reefpuck. I finally was able to get a photo of it today and I think it might just be a starfish, but not 100% sure.

It looks like its either missing an arm or still maturing. 

The only plausible way this little guy could have gotten into my tank is through the RO water because that is the only thing introduced into my tank. Could that be a possibility? I know nothing about them at all. I hope they are easy enough to care for. I need to research them to learn more.

I hope the photo is good enough to see what it actually is.

23 hours ago, Beaux said:

Thanks for the quick reply Reefpuck. I was just editing my post as you sent that. I have only seen the top side and that is what it resemble the same shape. Maybe I just could not see it well enough to look for texture. It appeared more slick like a homeless snail, but the shape is not sluglike, it's more starfishy in shape.

Wow, Thanks Reefpuck. I was able to get a photo of it today. I do belive it is a starfish.

It took a good minute because it was on the back side of my tank. Looks like it's missing a few arms. How it got in there I will never know, because I have not added anything new. I would think the RO filtering process would prevent a hitchhiker such as this, but its the only logical explanation I can come up with.

Something new to research because I know nothing about them.

But here is the picture.  I hope its good enough to see if it is an actual starfish and not something else.

15222755706931220851082876686096.jpg

asterina starfish.  if this is the first one you've sen, try getting him out quick.  without proper controls, these become a pest/nuisance.  They usually hitch rides on rocks, frags, or even bags of "live" sand.

I have a bunch I just don’t pull them out. My coris wrasse might eat them not sure but they don’t seem to cause a problem I always look at them as a mile stone in ahealthy thriving tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

you dont have to siphon 2-300 at a time :P  i got a pair of harly shrimp, hopefully that will contain them.

Was gonna say... wish I had hundreds of them. Would love to keep a harlequin shrimp in my tank!

After scouring over post in other forms I get the same mixed reviews. Most say they are harmless, and other say they rip through pollys and other softies. They say it is a genetic thing like 1 in a thousand can eat soft corals. I only found one comment on that and even then she admitted it could be something else.

Either way, I removed it just to be on the safe side. I will be on the watch for others.

If I should get infested, Issac would you like some free shrimp food? 😉

Well, I'm guessing I've got thousands in my various tanks and check my buckets when I do water changes to save any that get siphoned out and put them back.  I've seen them sitting on zoas and while it may not be good for zoas from what I've seen I'd say there was something wrong with the zoas to begin with that allowed algae/bacterial film to grow on them.   The Asterinas were just doing what they do and eating the algae/bacterial film.  

Archived