A chat about chaeto

BobcatReefer

I had a chunk of chaeto in my fuge for over a year, to varying degrees of success.  Started as  softball sized chunk, grew to football sized, but very loosely organized.  Stopped growing and seemed to be lifeless, so I removed about 80% of it, leaving only the greenest/healthiest bunch, and it thrived again for a while.  Grew almost all the way back to previous, but still very loose/not dense at all.  About 2 months ago or so, I noticed it was shrinking again and thought it may be due to the fuge light being off for a while (didn't have a plug for it after the dosers were added and before the new power strip arrived).  Lord knows there are plenty of nutrients, given the algae in my display!  I don't recall the exact order of events here, but somewhere in the last month or so I did a round of ChemiClean (complete w/ water change) and after that the chaeto was 100% gone.  Not pale green strings, not a brown clump, nothing - GONE.  

So 2 weeks ago I picked up some more macro.  A handful of fern caulerpa  and a very dense brick of chaeto.  Today, the chaeto is almost all gone and the fern seems like it's going strong.  What in the world is going on here?  How is chaeto not only dying, but completely disappearing? 

Threw cheato into this tank after 9mos without, for the triton method. In previous tanks I always assumed cheato growth was directly related to light. Now..I'm not so sure. I think metal levels and other competing algae have almost as big of an impact. Cheato and I are in a love, hate relationship. It's always my fault. What kind of lighting do you have over it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May want to look at something more powerful to put over the fuge. The lights in your display could be fueling algae up there if the they are significantly more powerful.

Below is a link to the brs investigates series - they put together a pretty decent experiment that correlates light to growth.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/brstv-investigates-do-refugiums-work/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

This is what i use and it works very good. i have to throw away tons every other week.

https://www.amazon.com/Thinklux-GrowLED-PAR38-Hydroponic-Greenhouse/dp/B01J0DAB3I

Looked into all the options in the same BRS video. The screw in PAR bulb ranked well. I can not justify spending money just to grow Chaeto, which is like a weed anyways.

Just used with a cheap metal reflector at home depot.

sump.jpg

If I had to guess, I'd say that your nutrients are *too* low to successfully grow chaeto. It's either that or low lighting. There are some other macronutrients that might be depleted (iron), but otherwise I wonder if it's low P or N. 

Archived