Kenya Tree in trouble

JoelATX

It looks like a diatoms bloom on the surface of the Kenya tree. It's been doing fine for years, then two days ago I noticed this. It closed up and never reopened.

Alkalinity 140, a little low I shoot for 160ppm
Nitrate, near zero or my test kit has gone bad
Calcium 325
Phosphate Zero
Salinity 1.025
10 gal water change every couple of weeks. Weekly if I'm doing good.

Not to say there aren't other problems in the tank of late. I'm thinking the nitrate and phosphate are so low because they are tied up into algae all over the tank.
I fully expected to find nitrates and phosphates to be super high.
I have other SPS corals that are looking their best in weeks.

Any guess?

IMG_7387.JPG

IMG_7391.JPG

IMG_7392.JPG

IMG_7393.JPG

IMG_7394.JPG

My leathers occasionally look like that before sloughing off the outer layer, but never as thick as what you have.  I'd try to siphon or brush off the majority of it, using suction to remove it from the water column

I brushed off one little spot Friday afternoon. The coating didn't return by noon today, but that branch didn't open any more. So by 3:30 it looked the same and I just brushed the whole thing. I noticed a little of the zooxanthellae coming off with the brown stuff. This stuff leaves a smell on the brush, that even transferred to my fingers. It's more of a mushroom/fungus smell than bacteria, I think. Weird! 

I'm giving the brush and my finger a little beach bath.

Things are not looking good, the black continues to grow back on the stem and it's pretty much completely withered. 

About 3 weeks ago the green anemone traveled around (or over) the Neon Green Nephthya Leather Coral. Could this be the result of that?

I've included some photos of corals that are doing great. The plating coral has grown off the plug and is now cover the gravel. Those larger polyps on it are the new growth since the decline of the naphtha started.

IMG_7405.JPGIMG_7411.JPG

IMG_7408.JPG

IMG_7409.JPG

IMG_7410.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

This is a close-up of the best of the 3 cuttings. Do those look like shoots coming out of the bottom of the cutting?

That's a small rubber band going thru the middle of the cutting.

IMG_7418.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

So if anyone runs into this kind of die-off, cutting the healthy parts sooner than later might be the answer. I did loose the smaller, worst looking cutting.

These cutting are almost a month old and looking pretty good. The light source has little to no blue, so no phosphoresce.

IMG_7520.JPG

IMG_7522.JPG

Glad to hear you were able to rescue some of it.  I had a similar issue with my singulara about two years ago, which degraded almost in front of my eyes.  I separated off the dying portion and the rest staged a full recovery.

Archived