BornToHula's 240 Gallon Build

BornToHula

I kicked it a long time ago with hydrogen peroxide dosing.  Took about a month but I won the battle.  

Jimbo brings up another method to battling them, fighting dirty.  Increasing nutrients and not doing water changes and sometimes that'll knock them out too.

1 hour ago, jolt said:

I just kicked dynos in my frag tank a month or so ago.  What worked for me was making sure my phosphates were > 0.03 (checked every day), adding pods, and dosing phyto every night.  This coupled with two sessions of siphoning out everything with all pumps turned off, and also went ahead and replaced siphoned out water with fresh.  No lights out for me either.  Took about 4 weeks to kick and they've been gone since.  Not sure this is scientific, but my tank is looking great now ...

That is pretty much what I did to fight the chrysophytes.  I just stopped dosing nitrates and phosphates about a month ago, but sounds like it would be a good idea to start again. (Maybe I shouldn't have stopped.)

18 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

I kicked it a long time ago with hydrogen peroxide dosing.  Took about a month but I won the battle.  

Jimbo brings up another method to battling them, fighting dirty.  Increasing nutrients and not doing water changes and sometimes that'll knock them out too.

Since I just got done fighting chrysophytes dirty I guess I'll fight the dinos dirty too :gun:.  Any drawback in using both hydrogen peroxide and increasing the nutrients?

Interesting... I had figured my nitrate and phosphate dropped while I was out of town, but it looks like they stayed constant (phosphate 0.02ppm, nitrate 5.0ppm).  I'm going to try and bump up both slightly, but I don't think I should push them too much higher.

dino's in my office biocube went away as soon as i got fish in it and fed them.  h2o2 alone worked initially, but they didnt stay away... i hate to say it... if your tank is too clean... dinos *lol*

Wow! These dinos are ruthless.  I've lost two large acro colonies (ORA Chips and Toxic Green Acro) and a 4 smaller frags from them.  :doh:

Raising the nutrients even further hasn't helped with the dinos unfortunately.   Nitrates have been raised to between 10-15 ppm, phosphates .05 to .08 ppm since the 8th of August with no effect yet.

I ordered a 55 watt Jebao UV Sterilizer to see if that helps. Should be delivered today.  I know it probably isn't the best sterilizer, but it's about 1/10 the price of a comparable name brand unit. 

Siphoning helped me too.  Also, I turned off my pumps and blew everything off with a turkey baster.  The dino's would clump up at the top of the water and I dipped them out with  small cup.    I also addded a lot of pods and started dosing phyto.  I beat them in 4 weeks this way.

I had been blowing them off with a turkey baster, but only siphoning every 5 days to a week.  I'll try doing that everyday as well.  Mine don't seem to clump up, but maybe that's because I haven't been turning off the powerheads when I do it.

Good idea on putting new carbon.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no progress on the dinos.  

What I have done so far:

• Installed 55W UV filter last week. Unfortunately, the UV filter doesn't seem to affect the dinos at all. 
  • Raised nitrates and phosphates.   This week I've been at 25 ppm Nitrates and 0.15 - 0.19 ppm phosphates. This puts me at about 3.5 weeks of really elevated levels.  I think I may have done more damage than good in doing this, as previously healthy corals now have dead sections that the dinos are attaching onto.  There is ZERO other algae or cyano growing which is confusing me a bit.   When I did this a few months ago I had cyano, hair algae, and other stuff growing all over the place.  Not sure could be causing the difference now?
  • I have been using a turkey baster and siphoning out what I can every other day. This does seem to help, but overall isn't winning the war.
  • Changing carbon every 4 days.  The water is nice and clear, but I not effect on the dinos that I can tell. I went though my supply of carbon so I will probably stop doing this for now.

I haven't tried dosing pods because I already have a very large population of copepods and amphipods. 

I think the next step is to start peroxide dosing, or maybe try out some of the products on the market (Dino X or something similar).

1 minute ago, Isaac said:

have you re-tried peroxide while having elevated nitrate/phosphates?

I have not, but I just purchased some peroxide to start treating tonight.  I think I may bring down phosphate to around 0.1 ppm since it seems to be hurting the corals, but I will maintain nitrate where its at.

my biocube's dinos finally went away after adding more fish and feeding more.  i think the trick is to out-compete the crap. what crap? 

It kills off any single celled organism (including algae, bacteria etc) and most if not all people who dosed it in their tanks saw their dinos go away for good. Also, with very little ill effects.

now, its obviously not a cure-all, because just peroxide alone didnt help me.

1 minute ago, Isaac said:

my biocube's dinos finally went away after adding more fish and feeding more.  i think the trick is to out-compete the crap. what crap? 

I theorize that's why the phyto seemed to help in my tank - outcompete the dinos, ehance biodiversity, and feed corals and pods at the same time

3 minutes ago, jolt said:

I theorize that's why the phyto seemed to help in my tank - outcompete the dinos, ehance biodiversity, and feed corals and pods at the same time

Where did you get your phyto from?  I was looking at algaebarn.com and it was going to cost a little more than I really wanted to pay to start dosing it. Not to mention it said to keep it refrigerated. 

13 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I have some fish going through QT now so maybe adding them, dosing peroxide, and the elevated nitrate/phosphate will be the answer.

1 hour ago, BornToHula said:

Where did you get your phyto from?  I was looking at algaebarn.com and it was going to cost a little more than I really wanted to pay to start dosing it. Not to mention it said to keep it refrigerated. 

I've used algae barn, and also podyourreef.com

both are great

1 hour ago, FarmerTy said:

Well, you are laboring on Labor day! emoji12.png

Hopefully it's just a slow manageable leak.

Wasn't too bad, just removing my lights and canopy is pretty heavy/difficult.

I had mis-diagnosed the leak. I thought needed some more pipe thread sealant for the pipe that screwed into the bulkhead. Turned out the seal had gone bad on the bulkhead itself.  

Out of all the water that ended up on the floor, 99% was self caused. When I drained the overflow I had unknowingly left some water in the overflow.  There was  probably 2-3 gallons of water still in the overflow when I started removing the bulkhead... oops.

• Like 1

Wasn't too bad, just removing my lights and canopy is pretty heavy/difficult.
I had mis-diagnosed the leak. I thought needed some more pipe thread sealant for the pipe that screwed into the bulkhead. Turned out the seal had gone bad on the bulkhead itself.  
Out of all the water that ended up on the floor, 99% was self caused. When I drained the overflow I had unknowingly left some water in the overflow.  There was  probably 2-3 gallons of water still in the overflow when I started removing the bulkhead... oops.
Hopefully that just went into your sump below it! That's weird for a seal to go out on a bulkhead after already being functional for so long. I wonder what happened?

• 3 weeks later...

Update time!

Dinos are still growing out of control... I've been dosing peroxide since the beginning of the month with no effect yet.  The UV light hasn't helped and nitrates are around 20ppm and phosphate is .04ppm.  I've also been replacing the carbon twice a week.  Siphoning out the dinos do help some, but if I take a couple days off it is right back to where it was. 

Realizing none of the above is a solution for my dinos I just got in my first order of phytoplankton and copepods in yesterday from Algae Barn.  I put the pods in the tank last night and I will be dosing 3oz a day of the phyto for the first week.  

Going forward I'm going to continue dosing peroxide and am going to try and get my nitrates down to around 5ppm though water changes.  UV light will continue to run as well.  

On to some good news, I got a few new additions I wanted to share!

I have 3 sunburst anthias and a golden midas blenny finished with quarantine. I plan on putting them in the tank by the weekend.  Once they get comfortable in the tank I am going to do a 3 day lights out to see if that will help with the dinos as well.

Bonded pair of small Crosshatch Triggers:

XJ2HRB3.jpg

Kato's wrasse:

sGDRoeS.jpg

• Like 1