• Announcements

• JamesL

Can't Create A Post? Please Read.   01/18/2017

Finding that you can't create a post in a specific forum? Please see the membership changes that took effect in early 2012. You must be a Premium Member to post items in certain forums.
BornToHula

BornToHula's 240 Gallon Build

Jen_h    100
On 5/1/2017 at 9:51 AM, BornToHula said:

Have a few fish in quarantine.  Going to start an ich treatment (ich shield powder) and PraziPro. I considered doing the tank transfer method for ich treatment, but the cost for doing it on 40g tanks adds up quickly. (Sorry for the blurry pics)

3uKkFVIm.jpg MGMgAmcm.jpg

Also I wanted to prevent algae from growing in the overflow - its pretty hard to clean back there with the canopy on, so I made a cover out of acrylic. I still need to adjust it a tad bit, but it turned out pretty well for a 20 min project. I should have done it sooner!

vjhU0BU.jpg 

7xJueif.jpg

XqSMQHl.jpg

I have the same exact tank as you. Funny I just bought a piece of acrylic to cover the over flow box as well. Having major algae issues in there. With my lights hanging it's hard for me to get in and clean. Right now I have a towel temporarily covering the overflow till I can do like you did lol. I have no algae anywhere else other then there. Almost looks like a refuguim! 

BornToHula    245
On 7/3/2017 at 4:25 PM, Jen_h said:

I have the same exact tank as you. Funny I just bought a piece of acrylic to cover the over flow box as well. Having major algae issues in there. With my lights hanging it's hard for me to get in and clean. Right now I have a towel temporarily covering the overflow till I can do like you did lol. I have no algae anywhere else other then there. Almost looks like a refuguim! 

My overflow was growing a lot of algae too.  The cover helps quite a bit, I definitely recommend making one.

BornToHula    245

Has anyone experienced only the tips of acros dying? On about half of my acros the very tips are dying off. The rest of the coral looks fine, with good polyp extension and everything.  Everything had been looking and growing really well until the last day or two. 

I do have a decent cyano outbreak, could that be an issue?

I tested for everything tonight and everything seems to be okay:

Alk: 8.1 dkh, Ca: 435 ppm, Mg: 1490 ppm, Nitrate: 5 ppm, Phosphate: 0.02 ppm

Any ideas? I plan on doing a couple large water changes to help things, I'm just not sure of the root issue causing the tips to die.

+FarmerTy    3,372

When's the last time you tested your salinity?

BornToHula    245
22 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

When's the last time you tested your salinity?

It had been awhile, but I justed tested and its 1.025.  

Unfortunately the tip die off continues to get worse.  I'm going to do another water change and run some carbon afterwards. 

+FarmerTy    3,372

I was going to say, nothing is a better cure to what ails any tank than water changes. Unless the source water is bad... Then you have a bigger issue.

BornToHula    245
15 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

I was going to say, nothing is a better cure to what ails any tank than water changes. Unless the source water is bad... Then you have a bigger issue.

Source water should be good, I just changed out RO membranes, upgraded to a dual stage DI and added a booster pump. I guess the actual source water from the city could have an issue, but I can't do anything about that so hopefully that's not the case.

I have a Triton test kit I'm going to send in to see if it shows anything. 

BornToHula    245

These first two pics are some of the corals where the tips are dying. Kinda hard to see in these pics though. 

7fr8FVe.jpg757Nuuq.jpg

These are just some more pics because I hadn't posted any in awhile! 

B2p0jBA.jpg

kfn3KIg.jpg

dA1QnMb.jpg

6S3eHK5.jpg

+FarmerTy    3,372

Remind me of your nutrient removal regiment? Skimmer? Water changes? GFO? Carbon? Biopellets? Etc?

BornToHula    245
38 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Remind me of your nutrient removal regiment? Skimmer? Water changes? GFO? Carbon? Biopellets? Etc?

Right now I'm really only using a skimmer. I just put some granulated carbon online last night.  

I removed all my other nutrient removal due to the chrysophyte issue I was having.  Apparently chrysophytes thrive in a low nutrient environment, so I have been dosing stump remover and Seachem phosphorus to keep the Nitrates at 5ppm and phosphate between .05 and.02 ppm.  My feedings (6 cubes, & approx a teaspoon of pellets) were not enough to keep the nutrients up.

I do have Biopellets, GFO, and a 75g deep sand bed /refugium I can set up if or when they are needed. I also have cheato growing, but I only run every few days for right now.

Edited by BornToHula

+FarmerTy    3,372

I forgot, you're fighting dirty against the chrysophytes. I was going to say, I could see higher phosphate levels causing STN in general on the acros, not just the tips but the bases too.

BornToHula    245
1 hour ago, FarmerTy said:

I forgot, you're fighting dirty against the chrysophytes. I was going to say, I could see higher phosphate levels causing STN in general on the acros, not just the tips but the bases too.

The good thing is that it has worked. 95% of the chrysophytes are gone and I think they will be gone completely in another week or two (fingers crossed).  

• Like 1

+FarmerTy    3,372

That's pretty awesome! I'm glad its working out for you!

BornToHula    245
5 hours ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Did the burned tips correspond with increasing the nutrient levels?

I don't think so, the nutrients have been raised for about a month and a half.  The acro growth rate had actually increased quite a bit with the higher nutrients and the tips just started dying a few days ago.

The tips didn't get any worse yesterday, so hopefully the worst of it is over.