SChrisEV's 185g 60l x 30d x 24h

SChrisEV

That's what I would do... just place the rock and sand in, fill it up halfway, toss in a powerhead, throw in some bottled bacteria for the heck of it, and let the cycle BEGIN!!!

Bear in mine it may smell for a couple of days, depending on the condition of your rock and how much it really needs to cure.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, based on the tests I have done, the rock I have (was all dry) is all "cured" not that it needed much of that, as I gave it a bleach and acid wash. I did add a piece of live rock while it was curing, I was really wondering more about if I a power head was enough movement to keep the live sand "live" and growing. I do like the idea of adding some bottled bacteria to push the rock further along.

Speaking for the guy that avoids the Tang Police,....

I have currently

Yellow Tang

Purple Tang

Sailfin Tang

Yellow Belly Hippo Tang

Chocolate Tang

Sohal Tang

Achilles Tang

Powder Blue Tang

Blonde Naso Tang

Magnificent Foxface

All in the same tank.

I will eventually add a Black Tang

I have currently

Yellow Tang

Purple Tang

Sailfin Tang

Yellow Belly Hippo Tang

Chocolate Tang

Sohal Tang

Achilles Tang

Powder Blue Tang

Naso Tang

Magnificent Foxface

All in the same tank.

What, no Clown Tang? :)

I have currently

Yellow Tang

Purple Tang

Sailfin Tang

Yellow Belly Hippo Tang

Chocolate Tang

Sohal Tang

Achilles Tang

Powder Blue Tang

Naso Tang

Magnificent Foxface

All in the same tank.

What, no Clown Tang? smile.png

Didn't make it through QT.... But I tried!

• 1 month later...

I have not posed any updated for a while, my build slowed a bit because I decided to move, and did not want to try and get the tank up and running with water and livestock, just to break it down again. So, I've been working on a little here and there just so it is ready once I do move.

Some pics, the facade of the stand still needs some work, need to attached the doors, and trim it up to give it the finished look. The nice thing about it being removable is I can do the finish work after the tank is up and running!

post-2161-0-48125600-1434384557_thumb.jp

The plumbing is 90% done. The top line of the manifold will feed any reactors, and if needed provide bleed off in the form of current provided to the frag section of the sump. I will also be strapping the PVC to the inside top of the stand for support.

post-2161-0-79999700-1434384553_thumb.jp

Feel free to post any questions or comments. The plumbing layout took me a little thinking to "design", it is all conceptual so far. smile.png Will see how well it does in practice.

Looking good! When you move into the new place, are you going to set up the new tank at the new house, then just move everything over into it?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Looking good! When you move into the new place, are you going to set up the new tank at the new house, then just move everything over into it?

Not 100% I follow, but the new tank will move to the new house, and I'll move the livestock from the existing tank to the new tank. If all goes as planned the existing tank will not ever see the new house. I'm happy to be upgrading to a larger tank, but I will miss the existing, it's been a fun tank and overall a great experience, both building the stand, and keeping the tank/livestock.

I like that your priority is finishing up the tank versus packing! whistle.gif

The stand and hood look great! When's the tank moving party!!! snack.gif

Great question Ty! I need to start a thread... looking for some help again. I', glad you emo-icon looks excited to help with the move! smile.png

Not 100% I follow, but the new tank will move to the new house, and I'll move the livestock from the existing tank to the new tank. If all goes as planned the existing tank will not ever see the new house. I'm happy to be upgrading to a large tank, but I will miss the existing, it's been a fun tank and overall a great experience, both building the stand, and keeping the tank/livestock.

I like that your priority is finishing up the tank versus packing! whistle.gif

The stand and hood look great! When's the tank moving party!!! snack.gif

Great question Ty! I need to start a thread... looking for some help again. I', glad you emo-icon looks excited to help with the move! smile.png

I must have clicked the wrong emoticon. The one I was looking for was watching everyone else move. devil.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Over this weekend I finally moved all my livestock (what is left) into the new tank! FINALLY! Between moving into a new house and a big tank upgrade, it's a lot of work! Another Huge thank you to the people that helped with my tank move. I have a few things to work on with the plumbing still. One big thing is the noise. I have not hooked everything up yet, CFO, Carbon and Bio Pellet reactors all driven off a manifold, so until I do that I'm not going to try and tune the flow yet, but I have a too much flow right now. I went with an external pump, the Reeflo Snapper/Dart Hybird. The default impeller is rated at 3600GPH, I left it as is. It comes with a lower GPH (2600) impeller, that I may end up using. We'll see once I have everything hooked up.

I have a question: In my garage I will be setting up my water making station again, this house I have a water softener in the garage. Should I plumb my water making filters (Mechanical, RO & DI) up after or before the water softener? The the water softener has a basic GE mechanical filter then to the softener. I think after is good, but outside the very basic concepts I'm not 100% sure that the softener is doing to my water. Also I have not tested water pressure at all, into or out of the softener. Any input would be appreciated.

Over this weekend I finally moved all my livestock (what is left) into the new tank! FINALLY! Between moving into a new house and a big tank upgrade, it's a lot of work! Another Huge thank you to the people that helped with my tank move. I have a few things to work on with the plumbing still. One big thing is the noise. I have not hooked everything up yet, CFO, Carbon and Bio Pellet reactors all driven off a manifold, so until I do that I'm not going to try and tune the flow yet, but I have a too much flow right now. I went with an external pump, the Reeflo Snapper/Dart Hybird. The default impeller is rated at 3600GPH, I left it as is. It comes with a lower GPH (2600) impeller, that I may end up using. We'll see once I have everything hooked up.

I have a question: In my garage I will be setting up my water making station again, this house I have a water softener in the garage. Should I plumb my water making filters (Mechanical, RO & DI) up after or before the water softener? The the water softener has a basic GE mechanical filter then to the softener. I think after is good, but outside the very basic concepts I'm not 100% sure that the softener is doing to my water. Also I have not tested water pressure at all, into or out of the softener. Any input would be appreciated.

You find that most of the ro membrane specs are based on softened water, I believe this is because the sodium ions in softened water are easier to remove and kinder to the membranes than the calcium in hard water.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not posted any pics of the tank for a while.

Front shot, I was going for a more open aquascape, but I failed. smile.png I MIGHT take some rock out, but overall I like what I have so it might stay the same, basically. I was trying for a rock area on both sides, with some branching rock in the center, I got that, but again in my minds eye it was more open.

post-2161-0-95739800-1436971292_thumb.jp

Finally added on the "reactor station", I was going to paint the board but did not make the time to do so. if it bugs me I'll paint it later. I will need to add and plumb my bio pellet reactor, planned to go to the right of the carbon, and based on my tank size I might have to go back to a full sized rector for my carbon, but I like just filling this little guy up and packing it tight. We'll see. I have each reactor plumbed independently of the other, I was using the BRS dual reactor for carbon and gfo, and it worked, but I did not like the fact that the flow could not be controlled into each chamber, especially as time went one between media changes.

post-2161-0-98775000-1436971296_thumb.jp

This will, I HOPE look more impressive in the near future, once I build my frag rag, and clean it up a but. Most of the coral that are in here now will be placed into the main display, or be removed. Anyone want a nice purple mushroom rock? smile.png I have a 24" 20K Multi-channel BuildMyLED over the sump and small refuge area. Right now my lighting scheduled is a little offset from the display to help minimize pH drops at night. This offset may become more exaggerated as I adjust.

post-2161-0-94939900-1436971303_thumb.jp

The display drains into this section, my skimmer, and probes are here. The bio pellet reactor will discharge into this area as well, ideally directly in front of the skimmer intake. The skimmer may prove to be too small for the system. It's rated at 240g but I believe that is based on a pretty light system load, at best. My total water volume is 230g as I calculate it. My return is currently two durso stand pipes, but it is making WAY too much noise, so I think I'm going to try the herbie method. I'm also pushing/pulling too much water with my external pump. It's the snapper/dart hybird. I Have the large impeller in there now (3600ghp) so I'll likely swap the impeller out with the included 2600gph one.

post-2161-0-35377900-1436971300_thumb.jp

It's not the aquascaping, it's the size of the tank. If that scape was in a 300 gallon for instance, perfect. [emoji41] You start looking for that bigger tank and I'll rally the tank moving crew together again. [emoji12]

Jokes aside, it's coming together real nice! I'm looking forward to seeing it.

You know on that wall, I could easily do an 8 or even 10 foot tank! I like the 30" deep (front to back) so at 10' that would make for about a 375g tank! Now you have me thinking! LOL NOT. At least not in the near future, maybe my next house, when I build the tank into a wall with a fish room at the back!

We would just need to make sure it hasn't rained recently so we could use some sort of dolly and go through the double doors.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Now you're thinking. :)

My newest addition to the tank. My "camera" otherwise known as my phone, does nto take great tank pictured, couple that with this guy moved a lot... they are not great pictures.

Potter's Leopard Wrasse, he's pretty small, only about 1 inch long.

post-2161-0-67940700-1437073977_thumb.jppost-2161-0-02345500-1437073980_thumb.jppost-2161-0-94517100-1437073981_thumb.jppost-2161-0-25401100-1437073985_thumb.jppost-2161-0-70393300-1437073988_thumb.jp

I wish I had better pictures he is very cool looking.

I really need to take pics of my other fish.

I LOVE the dimensions of that tank! It's looking really good

Yeah, the 30" depth is nice. I debated a 6' with the same 30"d x 24"h decided this was over double my existing water volume so a good upgrade.

Archived