Warped Wood Help

brian.srock

I have a 4' long piece of plywood that didn't look like it had any issues but now is really warped. I have tried placing heavy items on it for a couple of days but that hasn't helped. If I press really hard I can get it to go flat and I'm sure if I screwed it in it would stay that way but I don't want it screwed in. How can I secure this that'll be strong enough to take the bend out and allow me to easily take it off? Thanks for your help guys.

post-1271-0-73885200-1394743073_thumb.jpg

post-1271-0-86152400-1394743088_thumb.jpg

post-1271-0-19044700-1394743104_thumb.jpg

post-1271-0-45041000-1394743342_thumb.jpg

All wood will bow as it dries, plywood is no exception. The softer the wood (pine for example) the more it will want to bow. That is why kneel dried wood is often used for furniture if it is a softer wood. Unfortunately there is not to much you can if you are not wanting to screw it to a more stable piece. At least not that I know of.

Maybe if you built a frame around the edges out of a hard wood, making it look like a trim? About all I can think of.

I could put some heavy duty hinges on one side and get that flat but then I'm not sure how to secure the other side. I'll see if I have enough room on the inside to build a frame.

If there was a way to have some quick release bolts or something that would work.

i'm not sure, but you can try wetting it and then flattening it out while it dries. i know that is how you curve wood, but i'm not sure how it works with plywood, how wet you'd have to get it to get into all the plies, etc.

the frame seems like a good idea.

i'd think that quick release fasteners (cam locks, etc) would be tricky to put in place if it is warped a lot. depending on what it's doing and how it has to look, you could try having a bolt from the back side and thumbscrews (thumbnuts?) or wingnuts on the outside. also, a T-nut is a metal thread that you install form the back side of the thing you're attaching to. drill a hole through the plywood and frame. install the t-nut on the back of the frame, then you don't have to worry about running a screw (or thumbscrew) in and out repeatedly and damaging/weakening the wood.

i'm not sure, but you can try wetting it and then flattening it out while it dries. i know that is how you curve wood, but i'm not sure how it works with plywood, how wet you'd have to get it to get into all the plies, etc.

the frame seems like a good idea.

i'd think that quick release fasteners (cam locks, etc) would be tricky to put in place if it is warped a lot. depending on what it's doing and how it has to look, you could try having a bolt from the back side and thumbscrews (thumbnuts?) or wingnuts on the outside. also, a T-nut is a metal thread that you install form the back side of the thing you're attaching to. drill a hole through the plywood and frame. install the t-nut on the back of the frame, then you don't have to worry about running a screw (or thumbscrew) in and out repeatedly and damaging/weakening the wood.

Thanks. That might work. T-nut with thumbscrews and washers inbetween to reduce wear.

Archived