LEDs and coraline? Does it grow in your tank?

Juiceman

Thread rebirth!

I've been running only the BML LEDs on my tank for about 4 years now and have substantial growth of coraline (4+ colors) throughout my tank.  I think maybe its more nutrient level than LED?

6 minutes ago, mFrame said:

Thread rebirth!

I've been running only the BML LEDs on my tank for about 4 years now and have substantial growth of coraline (4+ colors) throughout my tank.  I think maybe its more nutrient level than LED?

So, low nutrient= No Coraline with LEDS? IDK

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:54 AM, Timfish said:

In my experience there seems to be two factors with lighting retard coraline algae.  First is intensity, somewhere around 100-150 PAR coraline will start having problems irregardless of the lighting technology.  Second is UV and shorter wavelengths of blue light seem to burn coraline.  But it certainly will grow under LEDs.

20170116_164825.jpg

Now here's a puzzle for you all:  This 2nd tank shares the same refugium and sump as the 1st and has very similar lighting conditions with the same LEDs but has very little coraline algae growth.  

20170109_180938.jpg

Question - Which LED fixtures are you using where you are noticing no coralline growth? Have you tried Kessil's?

Unrelated question - are those Mono's in your reef tank? They look great! Do they bother any of the corals or your other reef fish?

17 hours ago, HarleyGuy said:
Question - Which LED fixtures are you using where you are noticing no coralline growth? Have you tried Kessil's?
Unrelated question - are those Mono's in your reef tank? They look great! Do they bother any of the corals or your other reef fish?

I had this post back when I was all Build My Led.

No issues growing Coraline with T5. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/1/2017 at 4:42 PM, HarleyGuy said:

Both tanks I posted earlier have BMLs so the lighting is pretty similar.   I don't like using UV and don't see any point in having "tunable" lighting so I now get just cheap chinese fixtures or DIY (

)

Yes,  there are some mojanos in there.  They are a bright green variety I haven't run across before.  They are very slow growing so fairly easy to control using a scapel or flat blade screw driver to dig them out.  I've been trying to get some for Peter Gott but so far have not had any survive being removed.  (I haven't forgotten you Pete!)

Water flow certainly is a factor in some tanks but it's not necessarily needed.  This picture is the left side of the 2nd tank and has a WP-60 behind the rock wall so the back is seeing very good flow but coraline is not much more than the right side.  There's more coraline on the front side of the rock wall where there's much lower water flow.

20170227_172645.jpg

And this is one of my coral QT that is lit with cheap $4,10 watt CW and RB leds.  This system is a 40 gallon tank and 25 gallon "sump" using just a maxijet 900 pushing water up 30" so not much flow but still has decent coraline coverage:

20170305_094233.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, Timfish said:

Both tanks I posted earlier have BMLs so the lighting is pretty similar.   I don't like using UV and don't see any point in having "tunable" lighting so I now get just cheap chinese fixtures or DIY (

)  Hey Tim, I have some of those Chinese fixtures (3 to be exact) that I don't need, all brand new. WELLPAR 165W LED  55 x 3 watt Leds, Full Spectrum Dimmable, 1 with a built in timer, all with hangers.  I went with Kessils so I don't need these now (unless I build another tank...). Make me an offer if you're interested. :-)

Yes,  there are some mojanos in there.  They are a bright green variety I haven't run across before.  They are very slow growing so fairly easy to control using a scapel or flat blade screw driver to dig them out.  I've been trying to get some for Peter Gott but so far have not had any survive being removed.  (I haven't forgotten you Pete!)

Archived