Vegetable filters

subsea

Thanks Patrick. I'm reading this at work so it'll take a while but I'm looking for an alternative to chaeto since I'm still having an algae problem and although it's a dense ball now I don't have much biodiversity on it and I'm looking for something that won't tear so easily and get stuck in my return pump.

I would not recommend the Red Gracilaria in a refugium. It requires much more vigorous energy. Roll and tumble culture of Red Ogo in my 75G outside porch tank produced 35 lbs a month, with 1000W MH. I would recommend Gracilaria Prolifera and Gracilaria Paspodies, one of five different Feather Caulerpa. Both are voraciously devoured by Drawf Angels and Tangs. Both provide fast uptake of nutrients. I think that this feather Caulerpa displays like an elegant flower instead of seaweed.

Look at my last post in tank builds, Cube. I like my feathers and red macros.

Patrick

Chaeto is a fast nutrient uptake macro. Perhaps you need to prune and remove more often to increase nutrient export or decrease the amount of nutrient in. Fast growing Caulerpa may indeed remove more nutrients than Chaeto, but not much. I would say that you may need to increase your biofilter mass.

Archived