free seagrass (caulerpa prolifera) all out for now

hammondegge

Prolifera is one of the few macro algaes that actually don't yellow the tank but add amino acids thought to encourage coral and fish health. Just a little fyi.

Robert, if you could save a bunch for the meeting I'd love to mash some into the food mix.

Caulerpa is actually a Macroalgae, not a seagrass.

Benefits: Uses nutrients in your water to grow; phosphate, nitrate, etc. etc. and is easily harvested for nutrient export.

Negative: Grows FAST and over everything. Reproduces by releasing all of it's inner-structure into the water, thus clouding the water and adding nutrients back.

Robert, if you could save a bunch for the meeting I'd love to mash some into the food mix.

great idea, i will save some.

Caulerpa is actually a Macroalgae, not a seagrass.  

Benefits: Uses nutrients in your water to grow; phosphate, nitrate, etc. etc. and is easily harvested for nutrient export.  

Negative: Grows FAST and over everything. Reproduces by releasing all of it's inner-structure into the water, thus clouding the water and adding nutrients back.

all true

it does grow very fast, and does go sexual on occaision, but not too much. if it is kept pruned it does not go clear very much at all. it does flower. it is easily controlled by pulling it up by the roots. it does not come back from the "roots" but only by sending out runners. it does like a fine sand bed. seahorses love it.

Hmmmm maybe we won't use it in the food mix as I've also had mixed results. About the only macroalgae that tangs consistently go nuts for IME is grape or mermaid's cup calerpa.

• 1 month later...