Curing live rock

wayneb

Yes, but will have to wait until middle of Feb. before I can drive up there (cataract surgeries) to get it. From your description of her yard, don't think it will disappear. Appreciate if you will give her a heads up for me and my thanks.

wayneb

Update on the holy rock.

Contacted Jakedoza's neighbor about coming up the 19th of Feb. to get about 25 lbs. She said no problem and that she could make me a good deal on a larger quantity if I wanted it. Thought I would check with other members to see if anyone else would like some and we can split the cost. PM me if interested and the quantity you would like. She made it clear that the rock will need to be cleaned, etc. before using.

wayneb

While I know a lot of hobbyists that do use it to some extent all of the "pro's" i have read say to avoid even Texas holey rock. It's just not worth the risk. Pick up "dead" reef rock from prof for 2.50 a pound instead. You know you are getting reef skeleton based rock rock instead of random limestone that may have any number of impurities in it including copper, other metals, silicates ect. Its about the same as putting in playground sand instead of putting in oolite/reef sand.

The sand bed issue at 3" is that you will develop hydrogen sulphate pockets. The bacteria that creates HS from nitrates/organics only lives in anaerobic (low oxygen) environments. At 2" or less HS is not created due to no anaerobic areas and if any is created it does not build up before escaping into the water column harmlessly. In a 4" or greater sandbed the anoxic (no oxygen) areas have a seperate type of compound that breaks HS into harmless Nitrogen that will bubble up out of your tank. at 3" you develop HS and trap organics (detritus) without the nitrogen conversion of a true DSB and you effectively add this big nutrient sink to your tank. So, if you want a DSB go for 5". If you want some display sand do 1". Try to avoid the middle ground in this case.

Bill, so far parameters have checked good, nitrates and nitrites peaked abit but partial water changes brought them back down. Will be monitoring them frequenty as I keep expecting them to spike. Am curing only about 40 lbs of rock at this time (10 lbs dead rock, 13 lbs of live rock and about 17 lbs of holy rock). Will be slowly adding more of all 3 types as time goes by. Overall only plan on going with a total of not more then 50 lbs of holy rock as base rock. Any extra holy rock I obtain, I'll use to waterscape my koi ponds.