Sump for 40G

joshman1204

I am planning on setting up a 40 gallon in the next few weeks and I know nothing about sumps ... I have been running a 24g aqauapod for a little over a year so this will be my first experience outside of the all in ones. I am looking at using a 20L as my sump with a precision marine RL150 skimmer and a mag 5 or 7 for a return.

This is a quick google sketch of what I think will work. Please let me know if you have any comments or advice.

post-791-12637849924796_thumb.jpg

Looks really nice but you will need to change where your bubble trap is, or add another one. You want your bubble trap near the return pump. Unless you make your trap a couple of inches higher than the wall leading to your pump, and maintain the water level all the way across, you will create a tumbling effect into your pump chamber that will lead to "micro-bubbles". Your fuge won't care so much about bubbles from the skimmer, and will also give more time for the bubbles to "gas off" on their way to the bubble trap.

+1 on what mike said.

I have a 40 g breed with a 20 L sump that I built.

It was exactly the same as yours except I had a single divider between the skimmer and fuge section and the 3 pane (over, under, over) section before the return pump.

Check out Melev's site for good info on sumps.

I recently traded it out for a custom sump made by Shane at Fishy business and it is awesome. Recommend you check it out. very quiet..no salt creep and no microbubbles.

I had been dealing with microbubbles for several months that were driving me nuts.

They were probably from having too much flow thru my sump. I have an Eheim 1260 return which is rated around 600 gph. I had some of the return Tee'd off to my fug section but there was still too much flow. Aim for around 3-5x turnover thru your sump and you should be ok with the above design as long as you switch the baffles.

Also...if you drill your 40g tank then check out a hofer gurgle buster for your overflow. Works great and very quiet.