Dimmable T5 and MH Lights?

rainbody

As I contine to research where to go on my light upgrade quest, Im found dimmable T5 ballast and group of loyal followers chating thats its "the way of the future". Why I do agree that a sudden click on or off of lights is anything but natural, I like to hear from the rest of you.

http://www.servicelighting.com/Sylvania-49673-QT2X54-120PHO-DIM-2-Lamp-Circline-T2-T5-Fluorescent-Ballast thats the product most are pushing. Ive yet find anything other.

And for those of us running a reefkeeper this is why my exploration started http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=955

If anyone could share their knowledge or even their thoughts it would be appreciated.

And if this thing works, what order would you turn the lights up in to be as natural as possible? Purples then Blues then 10ks? Any Ideas?

With the link of the product you gave as an example, how does the dimming take place? I have found that is important. As an example, IceCap sells a dimmable T5 ballast, but it only works with a certain controller (I forget the name, its not one I've heard of before). So at least from my experience, its not only a question of having the dimmable ballast, its having also the right controller mated with that ballast. I have a Profilux controller, and its my understanding I could get the dimming affect in two ways. One is with a specific brand of dimmable T5 ballast that would connect directly to the controller. The other way is to purchase one of GHL's "light sticks" that are controlled by the Profilux. These will do a sunrise, sunset, moonlight, and I believe a storm with lightning flashes (I'm still wondering if this last is actually a good thing. Something about intentionally scaring the fish with light flashes just seems counter-intuitive). I don't believe a single light stick does all four, however, but I do believe you can get one that does the sun up/sun down and moonlight.

It's my understanding the sunrise and sunset starts off with red. But I would be interested as you about what colors you would do and in what order.

Stephen

The one I linked is the ballast that hooks up to a reefkeeper through that Advanced Light Controller module. The digital aquatics forum has a whole slew of threads about how it works using mV 1-10.

Heres a demo of what I would love to see in my own reef tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L9s-wfjleA

And thats with the GHL Profilux Simu Sticks.