Tank Talk

Wippit

Ok, so the topic sounds like some cheezy radio show, but the question is real.

I'm planning to head down to Austin Aquadome in a couple of days to look over (not buy) tanks. I know that I'd like to do a mixed reef, and that 100 - 135 may be more appropriate for me. I also know that I don't want to go cheap, but neither can I be lavish. A good, reliable tank, maybe a "middle-middle class" or "upper-middle class" of tank is what I'm thinking (at the moment.)

I'd like to tap everyone's experience; what should I look for? What should I avoid? I hear a lot about DSA and Oceanic. Are they a lot better than the others?

Aquatek has a 120G (?) FS with tank, stand, canopy, plumbing for $350 I think. I needs to be scrubbed, but it is a good price.

If you buy used, check over the seams very closely. I usually tell people to buy the tank new b/c no matter how nice your equipment is, and how clean your water is, if you spring a leak, its all over.

Its like my father always told me about tires for your car - don't buy cheap. Why? B/c the rubber is the last thing between you and the road so if the tires fail, its not a good thing.

Yes, its more expensive to buy a new tank, but its worth it in IMO.

• Like 1