ORP Probe?

rainbody

According to Chris Brightwell, an ORP monitor can be one of the most important parameters you monitor. After establishing what your normal range for ORP in your tank is, and dip in ORP is the first sign one or more of your other parameters is out of whack. The way he describes it in his book, is its like almost a "leading indicator" to use a stock market analogy.

Stephen

I bought one since they were cheap, and I thought it might be interesting to see the data. A couple of things to note:

1) It takes about 2 weeks for them to become "broken in" This has something to do with the way the probe is made

2) They inversely vary with Ph, somewhat. Mine drops about 20 points (normal is ~350 for me) when then Ph rises during the day

3) It does seem to be somewhat of an indicator of water quality. When I have noticed it drop, there is usually something wrong with my skimmer

I'm not 100% convinced it is useful, but it is worth the small cost if you are interested.

From what I've read it's the trending of the measurement that's important. This is unlike most other measurements PH, salinity, Ca etc for which a specific measurement or range is needed. This is also one of the reasons that you need to establish a baseline range prior to reacting to changes.