travel to Albuquerque, NM

Reybeast

Howdy, we're going to take our first Snow trip to Albuquerque, NM. I wanted advice on the route to take to get there. Google maps shows two routes, one is up 35 to OK, then west via i40 to Alb.

OR, i10 west thru Fort Stockton, El Paso and up i25 thru NM. We're driving, so I wanted to see if anyone has done this and which route would be best.

Rey

I've never done the I-10 route, but I know the interstate has a higher speed limit out there (85 I think) so you'd make better time - and less traffic. Not much scenery tho!

I've driven I-40 tons of time and its a good road with traffic that thins out past OKC.

I took the i-10 route through ft stockton once.. not a bad drive, and as Mark said, the speed limit is 85 much of the way once you get out in the boonies. I don't remember if we took I-25, but when we went we spent a night in Roswell and saw the UFO museum, which was rather underwhelming, but the drive between Roswell and Albuquerque was gorgeous!

you could also travel 183 to brownwood.then pickup hwy 84 just west of brownwood in coleman(i think).then take 84 all the way through lubbock then on through clovis new mexico.84 crosses i 40 in santa clara nm which is just west of albuquerque.it is about 6.5 hours to lubbock with minimal stopping.it looks as if lubbock is a little over halfway.so i would say between 10 and 12 hours going that way.

I have driven all three routes mentioned. I can tell you the 183 route takes the longest. Too many small towns with 35mph zones. I know going up I-35 and then across was faster even when going to Denver. I would think that going to Albuquerque though would be fastest to take the I-10 route. Ugly but fast.