Fish to put in a new tank

Tony.and.Deb

Hi,

I am setting up a new tank and was thinking that I would put some Cardinal fish in it first since they are docile and then put a Midas Blenny, then a Fox Face, and an flame angel. I was wondering if putting a toby or sixline wrasse or hawkfish would be good for this kind of tank. I have read online that all three of these will chase your fish around. So any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way the tank is 65 gallons.

Tony

Well sixline in my tank never chased anyone, all it did was check out the rocks all day, now I have it in a 29 gallon reef before I moved it to 135 gallon. It all depends on the fish, if it's like that when you bought it at the LFS chasing everyone and being , but very small hawkfish will be okay, bc they can grow with the livestock. I had a friend that bought 2 inch Hawkfish that gave him hell, sold it, and bought a baby and 3 yr later, it hasn't chased any fish or shrimps

-Joseph.

In my experience, the six line wrasse is a great reef fish. I've never had any issues with one of those.

The flame angel is good with other fish but, like most of the dwarf angels, some of them are coral nippers and may harass corals and clams in your tank. (This seems to be hit or miss but it's a son of a gun getting fish out of your tank sometimes so I prefer not to chance it myself.)

The flame hawk is good with corals but can aggressive with shrimp and new fish, especially ones of a similar color and size as the flame hawk (like a flame angel for instance.) If you really want both the flame hawk and the flame angel then I would think about getting the hawk fish last.

Bangaii Cardinals are cool fish, but don't work out well in a school long term. As they get larger one (or a pair if you are lucky) will achieve dominance and eliminate the rest. Pajama or Glass Cardinals are also attractive and are true schooling fish.

I would highly recommend one of the fairy wrasses for any of tank of sufficient size (I think 65 would be OK). I got mine (a solar wrasse c. solorenis) with the plan that it would be a nice splash of color and complimentary to the fish I really liked. It is now my favorite fish in the tank. Attractive and a ton of personality.