HQI Lighting Failed

Hi folks,

I have a JBJ 28G HQI Nano Cube and today the MH light would not turn on. The moonlight LEDs are fine.

I have a support ticket into JBJ but they have not yet returned my call, so maybe some of you folks here may be able to help?

I do not have a lot of experience with this type of lighting so perhaps I am doing something wrong.

Here is what I've done so far:

Plugged the ballast into a different electrical outlet.

Checked the fuse on the ballast which looks fine, it is clear, intact and not burnt in any way, unless there is something I missed.

Let the ballast sit unplugged for an hour and replugged everything in.

Made sure all fittings and connectors are properly fastened.

Although the bulb is relatively new, and does not appear to be burned out, I changed out the bulb anyway with a spare to no effect.

The ballast just seems dead. Now if that's the case, does anybody have any suggestions for a replacement ballast? Also, how long can my corals go without light? I have some Xenia, some mushrooms, a small gorgonian, some GSP, and a small SPS frag that was starting to branch a little that I'd really like to save.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Christian

From experience working as an electronic tech - use a multimeter to check the fuse or replace the fuse first before doing anything else. (use the exact same type - do not go to a higher amperage). A blown fuse isn't always obvious to the naked eye. Checking the outlet with another piece of equipment should be next. Check your connection from the HQ1 cable to the ballast cable, although unlikely there could be corrosion or some type of crud on the plug or connector.

wayneb

Thanks for all your answers and input. JBJ has not contacted me yet, but I will try to test the fuse, switch, and other parts with the multimeter. Also, the outlet seems fine as it will power other equipment, and the ballast doesn't work off of a totally different outlet in another part of the house either. If the ballast is in fact dead, is it hard to wire in a new ballast? It's my understanding that different fixtures often have different wiring connectors, etc. If it needs to be replaced, I'd rather go with a nice electronic ballast such as a Lumatek or something instead of just replacing this old hunk of junk.

Don't wait for JBJ to contact you. When I bought my 29g diocube it had a bad pump. Took about 4 weeks and almost daily phone calls

and emails before they agreed to send a replacement. However when they agreed it did come in fast and postage free. Question: did you

fill out and send in the RMA form they have online?

wayne

I'm sure that you have your lighting up and running by now but just in case I wanted to let everyone know that a buddy of mine has an account with Sunlight Supply and can get this dropped shipped from them straight to your door. They offer many brands of ballast, bulbs, and other supplies.

His website is www.watercooledgardens.com and is based out of Austin. I talked with him and he can offer 15-20% off depending on what product is ordered. On his site he doesn't offer aquarium supplies but he can order them, you can go to www.sunlightsupply.com to see what is offered.