Lighting for SPS / Mixed reef

Carrie

Well, I'm coming into this thread too late to put my support behind getting T5s...But regarding your MH bulb selection, I want to recommend the Blue Life SPS 14k bulbs. They look incredible. I have T5s on my display and the Blue Life 175w bulb on my grow-out tank. The color of the blue life bulbs is unmatched by other MHs, except by Radiums. The PAR output of the Blue Life bulbs isn't the best, but at the top of your tank, your SPS will be fine. I've always placed my clams on the sand, and you might want to do the same, but I'm not sure if 175w will be sufficient.

By the way, for anyone who is wondering, a good T5 fixture (with good bulbs and good reflectors) is typically more than sufficient for aquariums 24" or less in depth, assuming proper coral placement. My 7 bulb Constellation fixture gives me plenty of light and excellent coral growth and coloration. While T5 fixtures cost a lot if purchased new, their cost is similar to new metal halide fixtures. Also, replacing 7 $17-26 bulbs isn't much more expensive than 2 $50-70 bulbs. Oh, and, compared to the 2x250w MHs I had previously, there is noticeably less heat, with similar (or better) light output.