Tunze Experts Needed

SoonerFan

Alright, I have a question concerning which Tunze would you recommend for my 75 Gallon mixed LPS/SPS tank. Currently, there is are (2) MJ1200's, (1) MJ600, (2) Tunze Nanostreams. Most corals don't like the direct flow of the MJ's on them and needless to say I'm sure I could reduce heat input to the tank by replacing most with one Tunze. I can only afford one large Tunze so which one should I get?

I would like to keep (1) nanostream and (1) MJ 1200 in the tank. The MJ 1200 is at the bottom behind the live rock.

And then does anyone have a used one of whatever is recommended that they want to sell? ; )

Thanks,

Lee

l would love to!! Randy at River City is always telling me about your stuff. Fridays are my day off, are you ever around during the day on Friday? If not, Saturdays are also usually ok except this one as I am helping my son with his science project.

Lee

I wouldn't just say they demand top dollar because of the name. I used to think that. But when you factor in the reliability, quietness, ease of cleaning, and superior power savings it's hard to continue saying that. I thought I would save a buck with the Seio's. Sure they are ok, and I even tell my friends with a little less coin to check them out, but they don't compare to the Tunze units. Not near as easy to clean. Run a little hotter. Come with hundreds of extra watchamacallits that can make mounting confusing...... I see all these threads on how to mod an MJ. From what I've read it can cost almost as much as a Stream to build your first one. Sure you'll save a dollar if you use the remaining parts to make 10 more. But then you have to hope you get everything perfectly square and balanced....

One of the biggest reasons I want to change is to reduce the number of motors in the tank to reduce heat. My tank is running at 78 to 80 right now with the ambient temperature in the low 70's in the room. I am sure that each MJ probably adds at least 1 degree in temperature or close thereabouts (would be a neat experiment assuming you could keep everything else constant). If I can remove 3 to 4 powerheads from my tank that will save on energy and heat to tank.

I too must admit I have a hard time coughing up so much for powerhead. But when I saw my first nanostream in action I could tell a big difference.

I was more or less wondering which model number would suffice for a 75. You see a lot of guys that think bigger is better and then they are selling or trading a 6100 because of sand storms or downed corals. I wanted to buy right the first time.

Lee

Lee,

Why not just stick with nanostreams? When the 6055 comes out, you'll have a controllable one to pulse at your other non pulsing ones.

The problem you'll run into with any of the big streams is they'll dig a trench in your sand most likely. That being said if you do want to try a large stream, the 6000 is probably your best bet.

John

Supposedly comes out late March but I wouldn't hold my breath. I would imagine at least June before you're able to get your hands on one.

If you are serious about getting one the fastest possible way is to get on the list at Aquatek.