ATO issue

mhart032

I have an issue with my auto top off. i have my auto top off coming directly from my ro holding tank/trashcan with a mag7 pump going from 1/2 inch hose reduced down to 1/4 inch hose and run under the base board with about 20 foot of hose into the tank. well for some reason when the pump shuts off its still adding water to the tank i understand about suction and that sort of thing, but the hose is not in the sump where the top off dump in and it should be getting air in the line when the pump shuts off. its really agravating when i come home to a full sump and its dumping over the side.

It's just the pressure of the standing water in your barrel blowing right by your mag pump's impeller. You are using the wrong kind of pump. Most people do use similar pumps for this however keep in mind that the vanes do not make a water tight seal to the inside of the pump as a true pump would. Thus when it turns off, water just continues to siphon right on by the impeller.

This is why I chose to run a PERISTALTIC pump. They cannot have pass by. Just by the way they operate they seal themselves as soon as they shut off as the vanes push the tubing into the wall of the pump body thus squeezing it shut.

You are also putting unnecessary pressure on the pump itself by chiking it down to 1/4" tubing. It's working its *** off to get nowhere slow. You would be better suited doing that kind of punishment to a maxijet.

Here is the answer to problem. Plumb the return from the ATO to the display tank and keep the float in the sump. When the pump stops, it cannot siphon "up" to the tank. All excess water will drain back to the barrel. As you mentioned before, do not allow the ato tubing to become submerged within the display tank, try an overflow, or your reservoir tank will quickly become tank water.

I think i fixed it. i added a second tube with a 1/4 T fitting and made a air gap now when the pressure is of air seeps into the line. when the pump is on i do get some flow out of the new tube but it goes back into the barrel so no biggie, i had to use 1/4 tubing as its run under the baseboards to the tank i tried a maxijet 1200 but it didnt have enough power to push the water that far.. the mag is just my mixing pump anyway so no biggie.

I have a couple of extra of these, new in the box:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Tom_Aquatics_Aqua_LifterDosing_Pump_Accessories_for_Aquarium_Overflow_Boxes-Tom%60s_Aquatics-OE1137-FIOFOA-vi.html

They work great as a top-off pump. Low flow, and they won't back siphon. Will be glad to sell it for original cost, and save you the shipping.