Quiet Time

capty99

I'll take any of your mods to quiet the tank. I have mine in my bedroom (I know its gonna be somewhat noisy but I sleep with the tv on and not seeing it as a problem..) so I want it as quiet as possible.

- Trying to think of ways to quiet the pump in my sump. Just wrapping it with some type of foam? If so, what is safe for aquariums?

- I'm gonna DIY a muffler for my overflow, anyone got links they would like to share or advice on this one?

- The majority of my noise seems to be coming from the fact I don't have a skinned stand yet. It's open underneath. When I skin it , has anyone tried anything like noise dampening padding on the inside of the walls (or I think they even have a paint out there nowadays that does a similar thing)

I think trying to quiet a large tank is tough. Some of the things that will help:

1) Slow down your sump pump. You don't need more flow from your return than you have coming out of your skimmer.

2) Durso standpipes (or similar) for overflow

3) Sound dampening foam over the open back of the stand does help, but will also retain heat.

4) Use pendants instead of fixtures so you don't have to have cooling fans for the MH

5) Use a submerged return pump instead of an external one (adds heat, though)

Right now the majority of my noise is coming from the fans on my MH fixture. They are just noisy, but I am going to try to replace them.

Hofer gurgle buster drastically quieted my overflow. Putting a filter sock on the overflow in the sump cut the splashing noise. I ran mine for the first month with no cabinet doors on the stand (doors weren't built yet). I also took some others advice on here and put a mousepad on my mag 9.5 return pump with zip ties, it cut almost all of the vibration noise the pump was making in the sump. Before I put the sump on the stand I put foam shelf-liner under it to muffle the sump from transferring vibrations to the stand.

Having a skin on will remove the majority of the noise, I wouldn't put any foam or noise dampeners on the stand itself.