Lighting Suggestions

jpreefer

Right now I am using my T5 light on my 46 gallon that I had on my 20 gallon and it is not getting the job done... I am thinking about builing a canopy and wanted some suggestions on building my own light in a canopy. I don't have a chiller and don't have the $$ to get one so will the canopy make it too hott? And How much money am I looking at spending on building my own light? I don't think I need metal halide because I am not doing sps, so would it just be a retrofit T5 inside the canopy? thanks for the help smile.gif

FANS, fans, fans. . .

I have 5 fans in the hood of my wifes 58 gallon. They are mounted on the back of the hood, 3 blowing in across the water and 2 blowing out the back. I also have a fan above the sump. A controller helps, when the water temp gets to 78.5 the fans kick on and then off when the water temp reaches 78.

You could also mount a fan blowing in from the right (or left side) and 1 blowing out on the oppostie side. Either way be prepared for evaporation. Auto top off is highly recommended.

She's running 300 watts of power compacts. . .

Dave-

I'm tagging along. Have 2x250 watt mh and 2x24"vho that I plan to use above a 65 gallon tank. If you don't mind me asking, what type of controller do you use for the fans to kick on and off accordingly? Thanks in advance!

Edit: My intention is to run as many 80-120mm fans in the canopy as possible both intake and venting.

Edited by absolut_racer

On two of my nanos that I run with halides I have fans that are on the same timer. It took a few days to tune the fans but I've had a lot of luch with this setup.

On my new tank which is in the 'why is this taking so long to setup' phase I'll be using a reef keeper to control cooling fans and if necessary turn off lights.

I'm tagging along. Have 2x250 watt mh and 2x24"vho that I plan to use above a 65 gallon tank. If you don't mind me asking, what type of controller do you use for the fans to kick on and off accordingly? Thanks in advance!

Edit: My intention is to run as many 80-120mm fans in the canopy as possible both intake and venting.

I have a Reef Keeper 2 on the 58 and a Neptune Aqua Controller III on the 150.

Dave-

IMO, you are going to have a hard time running 2 250's on a 65 without a chiller. I tried it with a 55 and it would have boiled without my chiller. even with 4 fans, 2 pointing directly at a turf scrubber.

Right now I am using my T5 light on my 46 gallon that I had on my 20 gallon and it is not getting the job done... I am thinking about builing a canopy and wanted some suggestions on building my own light in a canopy. I don't have a chiller and don't have the $ to get one so will the canopy make it too hott? And How much money am I looking at spending on building my own light? I don't think I need metal halide because I am not doing sps, so would it just be a retrofit T5 inside the canopy? thanks for the help smile.gif

I don't think a canopy will be a problem. If the canopy is tall enough and the lights aren't unreasonably close to the water, one 120mm fan as an intake and one to exhaust on opposite ends should be sufficient. I would put those fans on a simple timer to turn on/off with the T5s. I use the Cooler Master 120mm fans on my canopy because they're quiet and are rated for a decent amount of airflow. You might also want to consider enclosing a portion of the backside of the canopy as this will better accommodate airflow across the water.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Dapettit and Hamp, thank you for your recommendations, I will definitely look into these two items, the ACIII controller and a chiller.

A chiller may not be necessary, but an auto-topoff would be a good idea.