Anyone lose power?

xcreonx

We lost power in that nasty storm last night for like 3 hours. Luckily I had my UPS backups ready to go. Anyone else lose power? How did you deal with it?

Backup systems, in whatever fashion, are ALWAYS a good idea.

In the rash of hurricanes in Florida the last few years, we lost power numerous times, often for several days. And believe me, with 95% humidity and 90 degrees, things go south very quickly. My solution was simple: I had a battery-powered car jumper. It had a cigarette plug into which I plugged in a 400w power inverter to give me AC. This ran my Tunze 6000s for a good 12 hours. For longer outages, I simply hooked the battery-jumper up to a deep-cycle marine battery, simpy a boat battery. This gave me plenty of power to run 2 tunze 6000s and a mag7 for 3 days during Hurricane Jeanne. To cool the tank off, I had bought several bags of ice from the gas station and stuck them in our deep freezer. Even with no power for a few days, the deep freeze stayed cold enough to keep the ice at least mostly solid. I put ice in ziplock bags and floated them in the tank. Cooled it off nicely.

I hope I never have to do any of this again :( I'm glad we're inland now...

I lost power from 9:00pm to 4:30am. The house was cool so heat wasn't a problem. I had just fed everything so I guess the corals got to feed on everything that stayed suspended in the water for so long. As far as I can tell, everyhing survived without problems.

We lost power at the store for 24 hours and it sucked. 10 pm Tursday to 10 pm Friday. 3 generators managed to keep most of the livestock alive but I shudder at what would have happened had it been hot out.