Salt Mix Poll

mhart032

Salt Mixes  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Problem with these types of polls is that they can be very inaccurate. If you've been in the hobby for any length of time you will begin to see the trend in salt. Basically whatever can be had for the best profit margin is what the stores will stock the most of, and of course push the hardest. When I first got in a lot of stores carried the Seachem line as it was a new comer and was therefore reasonably priced. Then for awhile everyone had to have Tropic Marin because some uber reefers were using it. BAM overnight everyone in town was overstocked in the stuff and our regular brands were not being ordered because of a lack of floor space to stock it. Then came along some new IO formulas and a new RedSea formula. Of course that's where the biggest profit lies. IO has always been a cheaper salt. People used to use it just because it was the cheapest. Then a few bad comments were made about it and suddenly along came Reef Crystals, an IO brand if you did not know. Now I have to order my Seachem as most retailers don't stock it due to it not having a large profit margin. I've noticed most shops have cut back on the Tropic Marin. So in reality what salts people use is driven mainly by what the retailers stock.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Mike, do you use seachem for any reason or just thats what is in your tank now? I'm curius as I have tried IO and Red Sea. I like Red Sea for it's test numbers (calcium/magnesium especially) after mixing. I was not too impressed with IO for the same reason. But, I am not too happy with the "silt" you get from red sea that is pretty well documented online so am looking for another brand right now. While I care about price, I'm more than happy to spend 5-10$ extra on a bucket to get something that is good and that I will be happy with long term.

I started off with the Red Sea its all i ever used. i researched salts online and like the fact of the mag,cal. with means i have to use less. i do find that i have been mixing a small amount of buffer with it to keep it elevated. it makes it cloudy at first but it goes away in a few mins. I do a water change about every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks and i only have to dose Iodine and mag. I never knew RCA stocked it till this last bucket i bought, and it was the same price minus the shipping from where i had been ordering it from. i dont pay all the much attention when i go to the LFS normally i get in and try to get out, other wise i end up buying stuff i dont need, lol. im willing to try something else if it could give me better results.

I have used most of the major brand salts over the years. As Mike said, a new one comes out and gets some good reviews and everyone jumps. I did too. In my personal experience the only salt I had good numbers consistently and noticed no ill effects was Tropic Marin Pro. Unfortunately it is one of the most expensive. I just started a bag of the Tunze salt since I had some people I know using it with good results. I have only done one water change with it so far, so I will hold judgement until later. My opinion, and the overwhelming amount of differing views backs me up, is if it works for you great. Every tank is different. Every person does their water changes differently. So if you are happy with your salt and getting good results, stick with it regardless of what others say.

I've been using Seachem as when I first got into the hobby I was fortunate enough to be surrounded by great people with great advice. I've been able to meet with the local Seachem rep a few times in the past couple of years and they really know their stuff. They have great advice as to what happens with excess calcium, iodide VS iodine, mineral chelating and more. At the time of my start up most of the salt mixes were "amateur" like IO and Red Sea. From what I could gather, IO was a good salt for fish only but was lacking a little for a reef salt. Red Sea is the discharge from reverse osmosis desalination plants. As the salts are removed they are packaged for a variety of uses, one of them being for hobby use. This could explain the "silt" you mention. Seachem products came out to really rattle the chain of Kent when Kent was "King". Anyone else remember those days? Now Kent is basically a joke in the hobby. Seachem was one of the first easily obtainable salts that came in a variety of uses such as fish and reef blends. I was talked into using Reef for my first salt when setting up my tank and I've never looked back. I've never had a residue or leftover in the bottom of the mixing container, my corals have always been super bright in color, it has always mixed up clear right away. In fact I've done so many water changes when I've only let the saltwater nix for about 5 minutes while I drained off a few gallons, well I'd probably not like to admit it. I've heard horror myths about how you can wipe out your entire tank not allowing the fresh mixed water to "air out", yet it's never happened to me with Reef.

I don't have any other reason than the great results, ease of use, and price for using the salt. As was said before, if you are happy with what you are using, why switch? In your case if you are dissatisfied with the "silt" I can understand the desire to try something different.

On often overlooked item about salt mixes is that most are actually formulated for use with (gasp) tap water, oh the horror. If you are using RO/DI it might behoove you to check out what your salt is recommended for. Some low in CA and MG salts are meant to be utilized with tap water to take advantage of the naturally elevated levels for these elements. 'Tis true I promise. Hence why reading about salt comparisons might be like comparing apples to oranges in your situation. Just throwing yet another of the wrenches that make this hobby so fun into your spokes.

i dont really notice it is the tank. i do see it in the fuge a thin layer over my mud. but i figure its mud from the salt drying so whats it hurt.. but as far as in the display i dont see it but i have alot of flow and it would be hard for it to settle.

so, I usually keep my salt mixing for up to a week before putting it in and it all accumulates in my mix barrel. Its a very very fine silt, cant even call it sand or mud. My water parms all test very good with red sea but the silt does concern me. At least enough that i'm interested in trying a few other brands.