New 10 Gal. Reef Tank

codyja

Hey everyone, this is my first post and I just started my first saltwater 10 gal reef tank on Wednesday. I used some of the Caribsea Arag-Alive Live sand and about 10 lbs. of live cured rock from Aquatek. I'm really not sure how long it will be before I can start adding corals to the tank. I just have a little hang on Aqua-Tech Power Filter and a small powerhead. I have just a little 15 watt light that came with the tank, but have ordered a 20" 28 watt power compact from CoralLife that should be in on Wednesday. I added 2 small hermit crabs yesterday (for some excitement). What are some recomended beginner corals, maybe mushrooms or zooanthids? Also where do I get frags from? Thanks for any info.

Mushrooms or zoos are a good beginner coral. You might still have a little bit of a cycle depending on how long the live rock had been in the store. I would give it a couple of days and do a water test before adding anything else.

Welcome to the club! and the obsession! :)

I agree on taking it slow. I would wait and see how the crabs do. Even if the rock is "cured," the tank still needs to establish itself. Anyway, Greenstar polyps are pretty easy and cool. We have had good luck with leathers and ricordias in our 12G. Anthillia is also easy and fun to watch. Good luck! Can't wait to see it!

I would wait a few weeks. Get yourself some test kits if you do not have them. Minimum you need ammonia, nitrate, Alkalinity, nitrite, and get some Buffer. I would be curious to see how well the crabs do, it might have been a little early for them. I have 3 nanos, 2 - 3.5gals, and 1- 20gal. Sounds like your off to a great start. When the nuisance alagae starts showing itself "purigen" has been great for me. Dont forget to plan on weekly water changes. Doing it weekly you wont have to worry about dosing anything but buffer once in a while. Good Luck, and welcome.

Absolutely, and the biggest suggestion I could give is to not add any fish or shrimp for a few weeks. Although I know that's hard. The longer you hold off the bigger your pod population will be; and in a nano every little step helps. I added a golden banded coral shrimp to one of my 3gals. No more little things swimmin around :)