My Snails Are Dying!

Daisy82

Well, I lost a conch two days ago, and just noticed a large turbo snail dead on the sand with 5 crabs (red leg and blue leg and one unidentified) going at him like they're at an all-you-can-eat buffet. I'm worried that there's something wrong with my tank. Or have my crabs developed a taste for escargot?

Details:

65 gal set up for two months, used water and some live sand from an established tank. Have 15 gal sump with skimmer and carbon to filter. I use RO water to top off.

Tested two days ago after the conch died - nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia were normal. PH was just a little bit low, so I put some PH up in the sump. Salinity is at 1.025. Temp is at 80F.

A couple of times my sump has gotten too low, which made the pump spew air into the tank for a few hours.

There are quite a few baby snails in the tank, and there is algae growing on some of the glass that they feed on.

I have been wondering if I'm not feeding enough (could the snails be starving?) - lately my Yellow Watchman Goby has been alot bolder with trying to get the food, and my serpent star has been emerging for a little while while the lights are on (unusual). I have a tang, the goby, two shrimp and the starfish - I feed a cube of frozen shrimp or some flakes every evening.

Thanks for reading! Please let me know what you guys think.

For feeding a bare CuC i recently got what I think is some great advice. Use "Chromis Equivalents." Do a visual search of your CuC and put the biomass at how many Chromis that would equal. Double it for the critters in the sand and hiding in rock that you don't see and feed appropriately.

Also, check to see if you have any copper trace in your tank perhaps? Have you tried a large (50%+) water change to make sure you don't have any bad trace elements ect. You may want to check on your iodine levels. If you dose it may be too high or if you don't dose they may not be getting enough to grow out thier shells.

starving snails are easy to catch said the (clibanarius tricolor)and even more tasty when your hungry!!!!!!

watch eats at bottom serpent star eats off bottom crabs eat of bottom when there not chowing down on escargot

For feeding a bare CuC i recently got what I think is some great advice. Use "Chromis Equivalents." Do a visual search of your CuC and put the biomass at how many Chromis that would equal. Double it for the critters in the sand and hiding in rock that you don't see and feed appropriately.

Also, check to see if you have any copper trace in your tank perhaps? Have you tried a large (50%+) water change to make sure you don't have any bad trace elements ect. You may want to check on your iodine levels. If you dose it may be too high or if you don't dose they may not be getting enough to grow out thier shells.

Ok, I will check that

A small bit of rust wouldnt be enough to cause a problem. Ferric oxide is what they use in phosphate removers such as phosban so I would think a little bit of rust would be ok unless it was copper in that case all your inverts would be dead. I wouldnt recommend leaving chunks of metal in your tank but I dont think it will do any harm. Most pumps have screws that are exposed to saltwater and will rust and I havent seen any ill effects as Ive also found a rusty screw in my tank with thriving coral. Now ive seen hermits flip snails and eat them which is why I dont carry too many of them in my tank.

you can easily under estimate the feeding requrments of the hemit crab there like little gangsters they run in packs and will actively hunt inverts and the occasional wrasse with a true pack mentallity. under fed they will eventually turn on themselves 5 hermitts in 65 gal tank seems a little much. I have only one in my 180 gal i prefer to use black brittle stars and serpent strars they clean up better and are more invert friendly

My snails are happy, but just to be clear for others who may encounter similar problems-- what do you suspect to have been the cause of the snail deaths? Do you think it was the rusty metal hose connector? Or do you attribute their deaths more as a result of underfeeding? I'm willing to bet it was the metal, but you know the situation better.

I started feeding sinking pellets a couple of days ago, and my crabs mobbed them as soon as they hit the sand - they looked very hungry. I'm betting they ate the snail and conch alive (what a way to go sad.gif ) because they weren't getting enough grub. There have been no more snail deaths - in fact, more babies have popped up ....... and the circle of life continues.