Magnets for frag rack

johnoburns

I am wanting to put together a cheap frag rack and wanted some input. I most people make them out of mag floats (I a mag float for that already). Can you use other magnets too? Do they need to be treated or can you use ones from Home Depot/Lowes? I believe magnets will rust, but I have seen people who have made frag racks out what seem to be bare magnets. One person stated they just bought one from Home Depot.

Thanks for any advise.

I knew a guy that used to buy a 2 part acyrlic resin and he would place the magnet in a soap dish and then pour the resin over it so that they were completely sealed. Then he would flip over another magnet and do it again. That way he had 2 of these acrylic magnet deals, one for inside and one for outside. He would drill and tap one of them accordingly and use nylon screws in them. Made them as custom pump mounts back when powerheads only came with crappy suction cups.

Buy the really strong neodymium magnets. I know that Breed and Co stock them locally in appropriate sizes but he would buy them in bulk from Ebay.

just a note, i was reading about a brand of powerhead that had a manufacturing problem and alot of the magnets were not covered correctly and it was causing problems, so yeah, don't use bare ones.

For uniformity and so that it did not scratch the glass. They were actually very nice and the concept was so simple. The soap dish was very smooth and evenly shaped. When the acrylic settled it was perfectly flat on one side and a very nice kidney type shape on the other. Very graceful.

I mentioned above that most manufacturers use Neodymium magnets for their small size and big strength.

I don't think he had to do anything but wait for the acrylic to set and then just pulled it out.

Now let me say this, I was not there when he was making them. I used to buy a few from him and make little widgets out of them. We sat down and he explained out the process but that's all I know. I've not ever felt the need to make my own considering that I could just buy a Magfloat and glue items to it for whatever the purpose might be. If you are interested in making your own unique magnetic creations I would suggest an internet search on the subject of casting acrylic for more accurate answers.

I've not ever felt the need to make my own considering that I could just buy a Magfloat and glue items to it for whatever the purpose might be.

Well I guess that answered my question! Must have posted while I was slowly typing. Thanks CRmike